Considering upgrading from a mid 2013 macbook air... Worth it?

Hi,

So looking at upgrading my 2013 macbook air... In short, is it worth it? Will it help with the dreaded Safari Busy curse for example? I know computers tend to get a little more sluggish as time goes by due to advancing and more demanding apps and OS, but I'm not convinced it's actually worth forking out a G on a new laptop unless there are some significant improvements.

What are peoples views on such things?

Another factor is the battery, I'm at about 850 cycles but the health of it doesn't seem to be great, though I'm not sure if that is all in my head or the truth or if it's the OS being more demanding on the processor or what.

Opinions welcomes.

Thanks

O

Forum: 

MacBook Air

What version of the 2013 Air are you using? I'm still running the 13 inch version with the core i5 1.3 ghz, 4 GB Ram and a 128 GB SSD.

The newest Air hasn't really been upgraded in about two years. It doesn't really offer much of an improvement from what I can tell. It does have 8 GB of Ram by default, but unless you're doing things that require a lot of Ram, 4 GB will work just fine.

If the system is a little slow, you may want to try a clean install. I always do this when new versions of macOS come out. My MacBook Air is performing well with High Sierra and Windows 10 Fall Creators.

If you want to replace the battery or SSD, you're better off buying replacements instead of a new Mac from Apple. It will also be cheaper to do it yourself than taking it to Apple; especially if your warranty has expired. You will need two screwdrivers to open the case and change the battery and/or SSD. You'll want to get a P5 Pentalobe screwdriver and a T5 Torx screwdriver. There are ten screws on the bottom of the computer and 5 that hold the battery down. Use your P5 on the ten screws and your T5 on the 5 screws for the battery. When you purchase your new battery, make sure it comes with the necessary tools. It will make your life much easier.
If you're not comfortable doing this yourself, you could always purchase the new battery and then see if you can get someone to do it for you. It's really not that complicated and can be done in less than 10 minutes if the person knows what they're doing.
I can't comment on replacing the SSD, but replacing the battery isn't that difficult. I had to do this back in April.

I hope this helps you out. If you need more info, let me know.

Thanks Chris!

This is some great help. Yeah, might look at doing a fresh install and good shout about the battery.

I think next will be a MB pro, but again, as you say, there isn't going to be a great deal of difference in performance as I believe that they are on similar processors and the battery takes a hit from the high res screen which of course, I don't need.

I think trying the home solutions of replacing battery and fresh install might be the best thing to do first.

What would be the advantage in changing the SSD? do you mean to simply upgrade the storage?

Thanks

O

SSD

Yes, I was thinking either increasing the storage or replacing it when it goes bad. I'm not entirely sure how long SSD drives are supposed to last. I'm still using the original one that came with this computer. It's been working fine for nearly four years now.

I may be the only one who thinks this, but I think a 128 GB drive is just fine. I don't use that much storage space on my computer and I have a 1 TB external drive if I plan to archive files for a long time.
As for the MacBook Pro, that's up to you. I personally think they're too expensive and offer more power than I'll ever need. Then again, I don't perform processor intensive tasks on my computer. Maybe I'd consider it if I was working with Garage Band and other music apps that use a lot of Ram. I don't edit video since I can't see the screen. I don't need that super awesome Retina display. It's useless when I lack functioning eyeballs.