I've been looking for a way to have quick access to certain sites for my Dungeons & Dragons game for a while now. In Mac OS it is possible to drag the address of a site to the desktop but for us VoiceOver users it's hit and miss at best. In this short and ineptly composed guide I'm going to explain how to write a quick and easy file as an alternative.
- open a text file in your editor of choice, we will use text editor for illustrative purposes.
- Make certain that it is a text file and not rich text, you can do this in text edit by pressing shift, command and t.
- Now copy the following text, take note of the brackets if copying by hand: [internetshortcut] URL=http://AppleVis.com Where you can replace the web address with your chosen site.
- Save the file to your desktop.
- Go into finder and hit enter on the file you have just created.
- Add dot URL as the file extension. Finder will ask if you want to keep txt or change to URL, change to url.
- Now open the file and, if everything has been done correctly, you'll fly directly to your website of choice.
For my part, I have created keyboard commanders in VoiceOver to quickly access monster statistics that will attempt to gobble up my player's characters. I hope you find a use that is as worthy.
Note: Please comment if you are having any issues with this and I will end ever to help and update this guide accordingly.
If you wish to speak with me directly find me on twitter right here