AppleVis has a small and select Team of Regular Content Contributors and Guest Bloggers, all of whom have a passion for Apple products. Their unique mix of knowledge, experience and interests enables them to write high quality articles which inform and engage other end users, app developers, accessibility advocates, Assistive Technology experts and people working for blind and low vision agencies across the world.
Broadly speaking, the main focus for the AppleVis Blog is:
- News about new or updated products or services that is of specific interest to the AppleVis community.
- Commentary on the experience (be that positive or negative) of being a blind or low vision user of Apple products, third-party applications or related accessories.
- Raising awareness and promoting good practice in accessible development on the OS X, iOS, watchOS and tvOS platforms.
Requirements of Blog Team Members
- Past experience of writing online content is preferable.
- The ability to produce well-written and high-quality original articles.
- A good knowledge of the topic of any articles that they submit for publication. This does not mean that they must have a knowledge of every possible topic relating to Apple or accessibility, but that they are (or are willing to become) a "topic expert" for any articles they submit.
- The ability to identify and research topics that will be of interest to the AppleVis community.
- If writing opinion-based articles, they have the capacity to provoke thought and discussion.
- If writing factual articles, they have the ability to research and check the content of your article.
- As a ‘Regular Content Contributor’, it is anticipated that they should be able to have at least one article accepted for publication each month.
- As a ‘Guest Blogger’, it is anticipated that they should be able to have 3-4 articles accepted for publication each year.
Beyond this, there are some basic requirements for posts:
- The topic must fall within the scope of those covered by AppleVis.
- The focus of articles should be on providing interesting and timely content that engages and informs the reader. Posts can be either objective presentation of facts (such as news-based) or subjective (such as opinion-based commentary on developments in the area of Apple and accessibility).
- Unless other arrangements have been made, all articles must be original - absolutely no republished posts (Google’s search algorithms penalize duplicated posts).
- All posts must be in standard written English with proper grammar and spelling usage. Sloppy and poorly written articles will be declined.
- Information from outside sources must be properly cited (including the provision of a link to the relevant article).
- As a general guideline, posts should typically be 500 – 2,000 words in length.
- Contributors should reply to comments left on their posts.
- Absolutely no promotional content or affiliate links will be allowed within posts. Only source citations and links that enhance the article will be allowed.
- As with any other professional publication, all articles must be reviewed by our editors prior to posting unless other arrangements have been made.
- We reserve the right to edit all submissions for brevity, grammar, and readability.
Our more general guidelines for posting content to AppleVis also apply.
As AppleVis is a non-commercial website operated by volunteers, our Regular Content Contributor and Guest Blogger positions are not paid positions and receive no financial recompense for their involvement. Blog Team members do, however, have the opportunity to inform and engage a large and passionate community. As a writer, this offers a great opportunity to develop and expand their portfolio.
We are aware that the requirements we ask for are demanding and not unlike those required for paid writing positions. However, the AppleVis Blog is a powerful and respected voice within the space that we occupy. We want to ensure, therefore, that we recruit people who are able to help us maintain this standing. Not only is this in the best interests of AppleVis and our community, but it means that those involved will personally draw genuine value from their participation.
Joining the AppleVis Blog Team
At this time we are not actively seeking new Team members. However, if you believe that you have the passion, knowledge and skills necessary to write high quality articles that would add to what we offer, you are welcome to email us. Before doing so, please thoroughly read the requirements set out above. Also please provide us with at least 2 samples of articles which you believe demonstrate your writing ability and what you could bring to our Blog Team.