Description of App
Chime is mobile and online banking with no hidden fees: get your paycheck up to 2 days early* with direct deposit, have fee-free overdraft when you’re in a pinch, grow your savings automatically, and manage your finances like a boss using the highly-rated Chime mobile banking app.
When you bank with Chime, you get a Visa® Debit Card, a Spending Account, and an optional Savings Account to help you save money.
Applying for an account is free, takes less than 2 minutes and it won’t affect your credit score!
Here’s what our members love most about Chime:
• Get your paycheck up to 2 days early* with direct deposit
• Fee-free overdraft.** We’ll spot you on debit card purchases with no overdraft fees.
• No hidden fees: no monthly fees, no overdraft fees, no foreign transaction fees, no minimum balance requirements
• Over 38,000 fee-free ATMs with Moneypass and Visa Plus Alliance
• Real-time transaction notifications
• Daily balance alerts
• Block your card instantly in-app
• Grow your savings automatically with our Savings Account
• Send money instantly with Pay Friends to other Chime members.
• Deposit checks using Mobile Check Deposit for eligible members.^
• Apple Pay™ / Google Pay™ for when you forget your wallet
• Move money between your other bank accounts
• EMV chip card security
• Friendly and responsive customer support
With the Chime mobile banking app, you can stay in control of your money. Track your spending, link your other bank accounts, and save money.
How to switch banks:
• Step 1: Open Your Account: Download the app and sign up. Once approved, we’ll send you your Chime card within two weeks!
• Step 2: Fund Your Account: Set up a direct deposit with your employer or payer to have funds deposited to your Chime account every payday. You can also connect other bank accounts and transfer funds from your existing bank account.
• Step 3: Update Bill Payments: Activate your card when it arrives, add it to Apple Pay, and set up recurring bill payments with your Chime card number or with your Chime Spending Account and routing numbers.
For more information please visit www.chime.com.
Banking services provided by, and debit card issued by, The Bancorp Bank, or Stride Bank, N.A., Members FDIC, pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A. Inc. Debit card may be used everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted.
*Early access to direct deposit funds depends on the timing of payer’s submission of deposits. We generally post such deposits on the day they are received which may be up to 2 days earlier than the payer’s scheduled payment date.
**Chime SpotMe is an optional, no fee service that requires that you receive $500 in direct deposit a month to qualify to overdraw your account up to $20 on debit card purchases. Chime, in its sole discretion, may allow you to withdraw your account up to $100 or more based on your Chime Account history, direct deposit history and amount, spending activity and other risk-based factors. Your Limit will be displayed to you within the Chime mobile app. You will receive notice of any changes to your Limit. Your Limit may be increased or lowered at any time by Chime.
^Not all new or existing customers are eligible to use Mobile Deposit. There are qualifications and enrollment requirements for participation in Mobile Deposit, and we reserve the right to change the qualification and enrollment requirements in our sole discretion at any time without prior notice. We may require you to upload a picture of your driver’s license or other identifying documents prior to using Mobile Deposit. Eligibility requirements can be found online after you have signed into your Spending Account.
I don't, I'm afraid, remember what setting up my account was like, as I have had this app for over a year now, but I believe I was able to do so fairly easily and independently. What I do know, however is that, by and large, this app is pretty accessible. There are two unlabeled buttons at the top of the main screen, though they are both consistently given labels through Apple's in built OCR. The first of these is settings, while the second is a chat that allows you to speak to support or to Chime's AI. Below that, it will give you your accounts, checking and savings, with their balances and recent transactions. Double tapping on any of the accounts associated text, or on the view transactions button, will open a full transaction list which can easily be swiped through. The chat, too, is easily navigable in this way, though the send button is unlabeled, and is two swipes away from the text field. The settings screen is fairly straight forward. When toggling things on and off, the associated button will read as a 1 when enabled, and a 0 when disabled. The amount for spot me, chime's overdraft feature, can be controlled with a simple adjustable slider, or was when I last knew it. The only thing not readable here is the view my card section, which I suspect displays some sort of picture of the number and all associated information. All of this can be found under the home tab, but three other tabs accompany it and run along the bottom of the screen, move money, pay friends and ATM map. The pay friends screen looks straight forward, though I have never had cause to use it. The move money section has information and options for depositing cash, mailing and electronically depositing checks, connecting to other banks and other miscellany, all straight forward. I believe there is a hitch in accessibility when setting up a new address to mail checks to, though it has been quite some time and this may be fixed by now. At any rate, this can be accomplished through their web page, and once set up, mailing can easily be done from the app. Over all, despite the quirks, I really love this bank, and its a pleasure on my phone.