Description of App
BlindSquare makes you sense what's around you. The only thing you need to do is listen. BlindSquare is a new solution that combines the latest technology to help the blind with their daily lives. It has been developed in collaboration with blind people and carefully field tested. You need either an iPhone or an iPad to get started. It also supports some additional accessories to enhance the experience. How does it work? BlindSquare uses GPS and the compass to locate you. It then gathers information about the surrounding environment from FourSquare. BlindSquare has some unique algorithms to decide what information is the most relevant and then speaks it to you with high quality speech synthesis. “What's the most popular café within 200 meters radius? Where is the post office or the library?” Using BlindSquare as a GPS solution: When you start the app, it will start telling you the interesting places and street crossings around you. By changing the radius, you can limit the area you are interested in. You can also search by search term or by category. You can select an interesting place from the search results and perform the following tasks: 1) Get contact info (address, phone number) 2) Open twitter feed or restaurant menu (if provided) 3) Make a phone call 4) Start tracking the place (BlindSquare will assist you by repeating the distance and the clock face direction) 5) Start your favourite navigator for turn-by-turn instructions (TomTom, Navigon or Apple Maps) BlindSquare is aware of when you travel by car, bus or train and starts to report interesting places in front of you (for example, the next stops) and street crossings when you are passing them. You can also save your own private places to iCloud so they will be found with your every device. Using BlindSquare as a FourSquare client: If you like to play FourSquare, you can do the following with BlindSquare: 1) Get a list of nearby FourSquare venues 2) When you are in a place, you can check in by shaking your device 3) Do a check in with commenting and twitter/facebook sharing 4) Correct the location of the place BlindSquare supports the following languages: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Dutch, Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Czech, Russian, Estonian, Polish, Arabic, Turkish, Portuguese, Japanese, Greek, Romanian, Croatian, Hungarian, Korean and Bulgarian. VoiceOver usage is supported but it also includes higher quality additional speech synthesis by Acapela Text-To-Speech from Acapela Group. Instructions in English: http://help.blindsquare.com/instructions and http://blindsquare.com/faq Please note: This app retrieves data in real time from Foursquare and Open Street Map. Use of a flat rate data plan is highly recommended. Having only been released in May 2012, BlindSquare has already received several prizes and awards: - GSMA: Global Mobile Awards 2013, Best Mobile Health Product or Service - Apps4Finland 2012 - OpenCities App Challenge 2012 - The Finnish Information Processing Association: Best Product 2012 Please note: To use BlindSquare, your iCloud account has to be active so BlindSquare can access it to save your settings and places. Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
App price USD 23.99
holding the phone
Instructions are little outdated
Random bug for the Random User
Random bug, Random User
How to make save work always?
Hi Claire, Do you still have
It might be due to jail braking but we can still find solution
What's New in Version 1.45
Settings not saving
Saving without iCloud will be possible in 1.45
Another feature that is not
When you shake device
There is tracking problem for contacts
I didn't track any contacts,
Thank you for reporting this
NEW: Search results are more accurate now
NEW: When you perform a search, the categories of the venues you find are also added to the search result list. When you search for "Mc Donalds", the "Fast food" and "Burger Joint" categories will appear at the bottom of the screen. Tap them to search for similar places
NEW: Now the Foursquare button not only lists places to check in to, but also suggestions based on your check-in history and friends recommendations
NEW: You can now browse tips and special offers from the Place Description Screen.
NEW: You can now add a tip to a Foursquare place
NEW: GPS 2 Navigation app can now be launched through BlindSquare's Plan A Route feature
NEW: Saving of settings and POI's now also works if iCloud is not activated.
NEW: Check-in is indicated by sound effect
NEW: Context sensitive help through VoiceOver hints now also available in Polish
CHANGE: When you perform the shake gesture, tracked places are now announced first
CHANGE: Search will find contacts also by company name or address
CHANGE: Accuracy and altitude is always shown in meters or feet, not km or miles
CHANGE: Previously BlindSquare did not mention the same place twice if it was reported less than 10 minutes ago. Now this limit has been lowered to 3 minutes for places saved in the My Places list
Saving problem is fixed now
Data saved successfully
BlindSquare 1.51 and issue with iOS 5
Could I ask fora simple
You control that from Foursquare
Discount and BlindSquare Challenge
You're right but when
Just some thoughts
What is category of your home?
Simulation and search issues
Search results and simulation
What's New in Version 1.52
1) The app is now one third of its former size so it is easier to download using your cellular network.
2) In iOS7, most of the languages BlindSquare supports default to the iOS voices. You can still use the Acapela voices, but the default is iOS, and it is no longer necessary to download additional Acapela voices.
3) The category announcement filter switches have been moved from the main screen to the Announcements Filter screen. Double-tap the Announcements Filter button to activate this screen.
4) Pressing the Home button will no longer activate Sleep Mode automatically. If you want Sleep Mode to be active when you leave BlindSquare, double-tap the Sleep Mode button at the bottom right of the screen before pressing the Home button.
5) When you do not activate Sleep Mode before leaving BlindSquare, Sleep Mode will be turned on automatically 15 minutes after you lock your screen or press the Home button provided your location does not change. You can change the value of the time-out period in the BlindSquare settings.
6) When BlindSquare announces upcoming street intersections, it will now mention the name of the current street first.
7) BlindSquare will now notify you when the name of the street you are walking on changes.
8) If MBraille is installed on your device, you can use it to input text in any edit field in BlindSquare. To launch MBraille from within BlindSquare, select the edit field and press enter while it is empty. Enter your text in MBraille. Swiping down will return you to BlindSquare and insert your text into the edit field.
9) While using a third-party navigation app (Plann a Route feature), you can now select in the settings dialog whether you want BlindSquare to track your destination automatically.
Acapela is needed to support iOS5/6 and some languages iOS lacks
some new observations.
In other words
Also, the app runs
This is a great release and
Problem with check-in
Check-in works but results are not announced
BlindSquare version 1.62
new update fixed issues on the BSQ 1.62
Just bought this and it freezes constantly