Description of App
The Google Maps app for iPhone and iPad makes navigating your world faster and easier. Find the best spots in town and the information you need to get
• Comprehensive, accurate maps in 220 countries and territories
• Voice-guided GPS navigation for driving, biking, and walking
• Transit directions and maps for over 2,800 cities
• Live traffic conditions, incident reports, and automatic rerouting to find the best route
• Detailed information on more than 100 million places
• Street View and indoor imagery for restaurants, museums, and more
* Some features not available in all countries
reviews for places
The directions are only
google map iOS
Sticking with apple maps.
agreed, apple maps is pretty good actually
Not great, but it is free
Trying to Get Voice Navigation Turned on in Google Maps
Problems with v1.1
Re: Turn by turn voice navigation with Google Maps
google maps 2.0
What's New in Version 2.0
● New design for iPad
● Enhanced navigation including live traffic updates and incident reports
● Explore: A new way to browse and discover popular local places to eat, drink, shop, play and sleep
● Simple 5-star ratings and reviews from friends, plus expert Zagat content
● Great deals from your favorite brands with Google Offers
● Indoor maps with walking directions for malls, transit stations, airports and more
In what way is this app usable?
BlindSquare + Google Maps 2.0 goes well together
Hello, how does the walking
what's new on version 2.2.0
Some clarifications needed on this app using iPhone 4s and ios 6
I'm new to this forum, new to iPhone, and haven't updated the 4s to ios 7. I've downloaded the app, liking it all along. I have a question, does the scrub jesture not work to activate the back button, like in other apps? I also find it difficult to sometimes find the button to return to the previous screen. Any comments or help on this? It's certainly not a show stopper. I was also wondering if this app only works online, or is there a way to have it work with downloaded maps for your country, keeping the exact same features available in the app? I live in South Africa. Thanks for any suggestions.
What's new on Google Maps version 2.3.4
Google Maps version 2.4.3
Google Maps updated
What's New in Version 3.0.0
• Turn-by-turn navigation now gives lane guidance and quick access to route overview
• View travel time, distance, and estimated arrival all at once in navigation mode
• Save offline maps to a custom list for when you're traveling or have a slow connection
• Transit results now display total walking time of your trip and the next scheduled bus or train
• Filter search results for restaurants, bars and hotels by rating, price, opening hours, and more
• Sign in to see your “Places to review” list from recently saved or searched-for places
• If you have the Uber app installed, open it right from Google Maps when comparing route options
Things you’ve been asking for
• Access your iPhone or iPad contacts directly from the Google Maps app
• Tap and hold anywhere on the map to drop a pin, save and share that location
• Search without typing using Google Voice Search
• Scale bar to estimate distances on the map
Any accessibility issues/concerns to be aware of?
Has anyone tried this new update? Are there any accessibility concerns/issues to be aware of as far as this update is concerned?
List of Transit routes might not be VO-accessible in v3.0.0
Today someone posted this issue to Google's general accessibility list (accessible at googlegroups dot com).
I am seeing the same issue on an AT&T iPhone 5S running IOS 7.1.1.
Steps to replicate:
1. Double-tap the “Directions” button.
2. Double-tap the “Transit” button.
3. Set starting location as “My location.”
4. Select destination.
The app now presents the list of suggested routes in a format that does not seem accessible to VO.
If I switch to any of my other three options -- Driving, bicycling or walking -- the list of suggested routes does seem accessible to VO.
Thanks for the heads up
Thanks for the heads up. I actually use this app mainly for transit directions. So it really helps knowing that that part is inaccessible in this version. I'll be holding off on updating it then.
Accessing iOS contacts
In this latest update of Google Maps it says you can access your iOS contacts. However, I can't seam to figure out how to do this. I'm hoping this can be done with Voice Over. I would like to e able to access my contacts within Google Maps, so I can get directions when I need them. Any help with this is very much appreciated! Thanks.
Transit access remains broken in v3.0.1
The transit issue in v3.0.0 discussed above persists for me in the 3.0.1 update released today, 14 May 2014.
V 3.0.1 update
Have you contacted accessibility support at google and made them aware of this issue? This would go along way, and they might be able to kick out a v 3.0.2 update within a matter of days to correct this issue. -Andrew-
There is a button within this app that says enter compass mode. When I double tap this button it then says exit compass mode. I can't seam to figure out what this button does. Any info will be appreciated! Thank you.
Google Maps version 3.1.0 is now available:
"What's New in Version 3.1.0
• Smoother, faster transitions when you move through Street View
• Bug Fixes"
Well said Andrew
We should be contacting debs as well as accessibility support groups to report accessibility issues and bugs
Transit access ?
Hello Bryan and others,
Was the transit access break fixed in the latest 3.1 update? -Andrew-
There is no email on the support page for contacting google. I just looked. I will attempt to contact them via their twitter and see what response I get, if any. Their twitter is @googleaccess I believe.
Transit issue seems resolved in 3.1.0
I just had a chance to try the current US version, which is listed as 3.1.0 in the App store and 3.1.2 in Settings/General/Usage on my iPhone 5S running IOS 7.1.1. Transit directions seem to be VO accessible now.
Google Maps version 3.2.0 is now available.
"What's New in Version 3.2.0
• Search results appear with descriptions right on the map, to help you make choices quickly
• View search results on the map or in a list and easily switch between them
• See your reservations and events from Gmail labeled on the map
• Try the improved Explore, a local guide that shows you different places and activities depending on the location and time of day (available in the coming weeks)"
Finding the built-in Apple Maps.
I've seen mention in this thread about the more recent iPhones having built-in turn by turn navigation. My question is, where do you find it? If it's a viable alternative, I'll use that instead of pairing Google Maps with the somewhat pricey Blind Square...no offense to the Developer...because I think $30 is a bit high. Yes, it could be worse, but still...anyway, I digress. My point is, I would like to try the built-in Apple Maps if possible. I just don't know where to find the app.
Saving address when using Voice Over in ver 3.2
It appears if you use VO you can not save the address? Is there a work around?
What's New in Version 4.0.0
• New Material Design brings bold graphics, fluid motion, and tactile surfaces
• Make a restaurant reservation right from the app (U.S. only)
• See estimated wait time and cost of taking an Uber, if you have the app installed
• Optimized for iOS 8
• Bug fixes
using offline maps with VoiceOver
Is it possible to use the offline maps feature on Google Maps with VoiceOver? I still haven't found a way to get it to work. Here's a link with instructions on how to use it, if you're sighted, of course.
Is there a way to start the
Is there a way to start the route on Version 4.11.68024? All I can do is select the preferred route, and then the step by step guide appears, but there's no starting button so the map starts to move as I do and the voice guides me. All I have is an add to calendar button, and the public transportation company info.
How do you guys do that?
re: Is there a way to start the route?
Hello Raul -- I am also unable to find a way to start navigation in Transit mode in version 4.11.68024 of the Google Maps IOS app. Interestingly, the start button does show up for driving, walking and bicycling modes. I will submit a bug report through the app and mention this on Google's general accessibility listserv at firstname.lastname@example.org
iPhone 5S, IOS 9.1
I am wondering
Perhaps transit mode, like on Apple Maps, is only available in certain areas? Admittedly, it is not something I have ever used with Google Maps before, so this is just an idea.
Transit mode is available in
Transit mode is available in my country, and I've used it in previous versions.
How to save a PIN, and find it later?
Can anyone advise how I can save my absolute current position as a 'saved place' on Google Maps, so I can then select it later and find that location again? The web chat / help nfo says to click on the map, to drop a PIN, but of course I can't be sure I am clicking on the map where the arrow indicating I am situated right now is positioned.
I just want a simple method to save my location, when I'm out cycling, so I can later navigate back there again in the future, without 10 minutes struggling with app accessibility!
measuring distance and travel time between two places
Hi all, so I have a question how do I measure distance and travel time between two places especially if I am in neither location that I am interested in at time of wanting to measure.
I have googled, and of course google says I need to drop a pin on the map after tapping on the location then I have to scroll down to measure distance. I am of course not seeing a measure distance option though i'm not sure if this is because I haven't dropped a pin, and of course that's going to be difficult with VoiceOver anyway. i'm not sure if apple maps also has a measuring function or how accessible this might be.