Description of App
Guide Dogs Australia, the leading providers of orientation and mobility services for people who are blind or visually impaired in Australia, and Sendero Group, the pioneers of accessible GPS, have collaborated to add new features to the app called Guide Dogs NSW ACT. Almost 20 years of user feedback and feature requests are behind the design of all Sendero GPS products. Guide Dogs NSW ACT is a fully accessible turn-by-turn GPS iPhone app with all the normal navigation features plus features unique to blind users.
Unique to Guide Dogs NSW ACT
• Instead of multiple layers of menus, the three important navigation elements are on the lower portion of every screen: Route, POIs and Location.
• At intersections, the cross street and its orientation are announced
• Intersections are described (e.g. four-way) with the clock face orientation of the streets.
• There are various choices for POI data (Google Places and Foursquare) or record your own.
• Directions are configured appropriately for Pedestrian and Vehicle routes, including heads-up announcements for approaching turns, turn now, continue straight and upcoming turns.
• If one wanders off the route, it's automatically recalculated and updated turn information is announced.
• Point your phone in a given direction to hear what is nearby with the LookAround Wand.
• Nearby Points of interest and intersections are automatically announced.
• Ability to run in the background or with the screen locked for iOS 7. If you are running an older version of iOS 6 only the sound effects will play and the phone will vibrate at turns and at your destination but no speech output. Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Requires: Compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad 2 WiFi + 3G, iPad Wi-Fi + 4G, iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular. iOS 5.0 or later.
The Guide Dogs NSW ACT app uses VoiceOver feature for audio voice output and does not contain its own voice synthesizer.
Join us on Twitter, https://twitter.com/senderogps
App works well with VoiceOver, maps section not accessible.