Description of App:
The RNIB, and Sendero Group the pioneers of accessible GPS, have teamed up to create RNIB Navigator. Almost 20 years of user feedback and feature requests are behind the design of all Sendero GPS products. The accessible features in RNIB Navigator are only the beginning of what is yet to come as users help in evolving this first fully accessible GPS product for the iPhone for the UK. RNIB Navigator is a fully accessible turn-by-turn GPS iPhone app with all the normal navigation features plus features unique to blind users. RNIB does not receive any revenue from the sale of this app.
Unique to RNIB Navigator
• Instead of multiple layers of menus, the three important navigation elements are on the lower portion of every screen: Route, POIs and Location.
• At intersections, the cross street and its orientation are announced
• Intersections are described (e.g. four-way) with the clock face orientation of the streets.
• POI data is provided by Foursquare.
• Directions are configured appropriately for Pedestrian and Vehicle routes, including heads-up announcements for approaching turns, turn now, continue straight and upcoming turns.
• If one wanders off the route, it's automatically recalculated and updated turn information is announced.
• Point your phone in a given direction to hear what is nearby with the LookAround Wand.
• Nearby Points of interest and intersections are automatically announced.
Requires: Compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPad Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad 2 WiFi + 3G, iPad Wi-Fi + 4G, iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular. iOS 6.0 or later.
RNIB Navigator app uses VoiceOver feature for audio voice output and does not contain its own voice synthesizer.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Apple Watch Support:
Free or Paid:
Device(s) App Was Tested On:
It should be noted that this app is free to download but does need a subscription, this is the English version of the seeing eye gps app.