Description of App:
PRIVACY THAT FITS IN YOUR POCKET
“Use anything by Open Whisper Systems.
— Edward Snowden, Whistleblower and privacy advocate
“Signal is the most scalable encryption tool we have. It is free and peer reviewed. I encourage people to use it everyday.
— Laura Poitras, Oscar winning filmmaker and journalist
“I am regularly impressed with the thought and care put into both the security and the usability of this app. It's my first choice for an encrypted conversation.
— Bruce Schneier, internationally renowned security technologist
“After reading the code, I literally discovered a line of drool running down my face. It’s really nice.
— Matt Green, Cryptographer, Johns Hopkins University
Signal is an app that allows for private messaging and calling on iPhone and Android. Some features:
- Say Anything - Send high-quality group, text, picture, and video messages, all without SMS and MMS fees.
- Be Yourself - Use your existing phone number and address book. There are no separate logins, usernames, passwords, or PINs to manage or lose.
- Stay Private - We cannot read your messages, and no one else can either. Everything is always end-to-end encrypted and painstakingly engineered in order to keep your communication safe.
- Get Organized - Archive functionality makes it easy to keep track of the conversations that matter to you right now.
- Speak Freely - Make crystal-clear phone calls to people who live across town, or across the ocean, with no long-distance charges.
- Pay Nothing - The development team is supported by community donations and grants. There are no advertisements, and it doesn't cost anything to use.
Apple Watch Support:
Free or Paid:
Device(s) App Was Tested On:
As promised, I am updating my review. Either I was being very inept earlier or a recent update fixed the only problem I was having. As a note to Voiceover users, if you want to access conversation settings for a contact you should do a long tap on their name at the top of your conversation screen.
I highly recommend this app for everyone, and hope it will be the future gold standard for communication. Also kudos to the Signal team for making end-to-end encryption simple and accessible.