Apple has released iOS 16 to the public. This post contains details of the VoiceOver, low vision, and Braille bugs which we believe have been introduced in this release; as well as details of the pre-existing bugs which we believe to be resolved.
As is our routine practice, each new bug has been given a severity rating; these ratings are based upon what we believe to be the implications for accessing and using features and functionality and the level of impact on the overall user experience, as well as whether or not there is an effective workaround for the issue. However, as these ratings are subjective, it is very possible that they may not reflect your own opinion or use case.
As we always stress, we can make no claims on the completeness or accuracy of our testing. We have only a small team of testers, and it is simply impossible for us to test all devices, configurations, applications, and use cases.
Some of the bugs listed below will be specific to a certain device, configuration, or use case. Consequently, it is entirely likely that you will not encounter all of what we list; and it is also probable that you will encounter bugs or regressions that we did not identify during our testing.
We strongly recommend that you read through this post and any replies before updating—as this will allow you to make an informed decision on whether to install iOS 16 or to wait for a future release.
To help us ensure that the information on this page is as complete and accurate as possible, we would appreciate feedback from those who have installed iOS 16 — both to confirm whether they are encountering the same problems (or have found workarounds), as well as to let us know of any additional issues that are not on this list. Of course, it’s even more important that you let Apple know of any additional bugs that you find (they already know about the ones currently listed below). This post explains why you should report bugs directly to Apple, as well as the best ways to do so.
With all of the preamble out of the way, here are the new bugs for blind and low vision users which we believe to be present in iOS 16:
We are currently aware of only one new issue that we would consider to be serious, and this involves the use of Invert Colors in combination with VoiceOver seemingly causing the App Switcher to not work.
If you have Invert Colors enabled system-wide, you are likely to find that the App Switcher cannot be activated.
If you use per-app settings to enable Invert Colors for specific apps, you will likely find that the App Switcher will stop working when you open one of these apps.
When this issue presents itself, your device will still provide the normal and expected feedback whilst performing the gesture on iPhones without a Home button to activate the App Switcher, but it will not be activated. Additionally, if you have assigned the Back Tap or a touch gesture to activate the App Switcher, these also won't work if you are effected by this issue. If triggered by an app set to use Invert Colors, the behavior will persist until you restart your iPhone. Turning VoiceOver off and then on again does not return the App Switcher to normal behavior.
The App Switcher is believed to work as expected if you use Invert Colors without VoiceOver also enabled.
We have not been able to test whether this issue is also present on iPhones which have a Home button. If you can confirm if this is or is not the case, please let us know in the comments below.
We do not know if they are related issues, but some people have reported problems on iOS 16 with VoiceOver focus whilst using the App Switcher and VoiceOver on occasions behaving as if there are two instances of the same app in the App Switcher.
Our thanks go to Eglė, who enabled us to determine that Invert Colors is the cause of the App Switcher issue.
- When using Live Captions, as new text arrives, a Braille display user is interrupted from where they are currently reading and placed at the start of the line.
- After pressing space with dots 1-7 on a Braille display to emulate the command key, it is no longer possible to follow this up with a letter such as command n.
- On the Now Playing screen in the native Music app, VoiceOver speaks UI elements which are not visually present on screen or actionable. Specifically, all of the Now Playing controls and UI elements are present and work as expected, but when flicking left or right with 1-finger to move VoiceOver focus, VoiceOver's navigation and feedback will wrongly behave as if the UI elements from the Music app screen that you were previously on are also still present on screen. They are not.
- After double-tapping the “Send later” button in the Mail scheduling menu, double-tapping the time does not work to expand the UI element, making the date the only thing that can be edited when scheduling an email with VoiceOver.
- In the Shortcuts app, any list of App Shortcuts provided by a 3rd party app is spoken by VoiceOver as a series of unlabelled buttons
- In Find My, after selecting the “Devices” tab and double-tapping a device, there is sometimes a delay between touching or swiping the screen and VoiceOver speaking the name of the focused element.
- The following editing commands do not work when using a Braille displays keyboard: Select All, Copy, Paste, Undo, and Cut. Based upon our testing, it appears that these commands are only issues on the iPhone SE 2 and iPhone SE 3. If you are encountering these bugs, you can work around them by using the Edit Rotor. Press space with 2-3 until arriving at the edit rotor and then press space with dot 3 or space with dot 6 to get to the option you wish to activate.
- When entering text using a Braille keyboard, pressing dot 8 invokes a menu and does not insert a line break as expected. This bug also appears to only be impacting SE 2 and SE 3 users, and can be worked around by adding space with dots 2-7 to emulate the Option key followed by dot 8, or space with dot 8 if using eight-dot input.
- When using Braille Screen Input in combination with Eloquence, the pauses between characters in contracted symbols — and when using echo in general — are too great to be useful as you need to wait too long for confirmation.
- The “More” menu item is no longer available from the VoiceOver rotor for notifications on the Lock screen or in the Notification Center. Note that the same functionality as previously available from the “More” menu item can still be accessed by performing a long press or 1 finger triple-tap on the notification. The “More” menu item is still available from the rotor on notifications when they display as a temporary banner on the Home screen.
- If you have notification grouping enabled for the Lock Screen, you may on occasions find that a group is not expanded when you double-tap on it. Our experience is that this most commonly happens when there are one or more other groups of notifications below the one that you have double-tapped on. Typically the group will expand if you double-tap it a second time.
- After clearing a single notification from the Lock screen, VoiceOver may behave as if it were still present on screen. Specifically, after using the “Clear” option from the VoiceOver rotor, the notification is visually cleared from the Lock Screen. However, when moving VoiceOver focus by flicking, you may find that VoiceOver navigation and feedback will behave as if the notification is still on screen.
- The “Adjust Value” VoiceOver rotor menu item does not work on the Lock screen audio scrubber. Specifically, when the Now Playing widget is on the Lock Screen, VoiceOver will indicate that you can swipe up or down with 1-finger on the position scrubber to adjust the position. However, this does nothing. You can perform a 1-finger tap and hold, followed by a ‘drag’ to the left or right to move position, but this does not allow for accurate or small changes to the position.
- VoiceOver does not clearly or accurately report the current status of the Focus mode toggle in the Control Center, in particular when it is enabled.
- In Focus mode settings, any existing automation for a Focus mode is announced by VoiceOver as an unlabelled button. Specifically, if you have created triggers for a Focus mode to be automatically enabled — such as at specific time or location — where these are listed in the settings for the Focus Mode, each will be an unlabelled button.
- In the Messages app, the Pin option in the VoiceOver Actions menu does not work. Note that the Unpin option doe does work as expected. As a workaround, you can perform a long press or 1 finger triple-tap on a thread to activate a contextual menu that contains an option to pin the thread.
- When VoiceOver is enabled, keyboard feedback sounds may intermittently disappear whilst typing.
- After entering customization mode on the Lock Screen, there are some UI elements which VoiceOver users can only locate by touch, not flicking. Specifically, there is a page picker and buttons for “Customize” and “Add” which are visually present below each preview of existing Lock screens. If you flick to move VoiceOver focus through the screen, these are not located. However, they can be located by touch. Note that “Customize”, is available from the VoiceOver rotor when focus is on the preview image, whilst the last UI element found by VoiceOver when flicking right is a blank preview that can be double tapped to “Add New Lock screen” and which serves the same purpose as the “Add” button.
- When customising a Lock Screen and dragging a widget to either add it to the Lock Screen or change its position, VoiceOver provides no feedback.
- When customizing a Lock Screen, VoiceOver does not announce the name of the widget that is currently placed in the top slot. However, VoiceOver does speak the names of widgets placed in the other available slots.
- When customising the Lock Screen, VoiceOver will on occasions wrongly behave as if the “Show Notifications” button is on screen and actionable. This appears to only happen if the button was present on the Lock Screen before activating customisation mode.
- When the Activity widget is placed in the top slot on the Lock Screen, VoiceOver will speak its information in the form of “Fitness MoveACCESSIBILITY_MOVE_PROGRESS_LABEL_KILOCALORIESExercise93 minutesStand5 hours out of 12 hours”. Note that the information is spoken correctly if the widget is placed in one of the other available slots.
- When focusing on a note in Notes, there is a rotor action labeled “Share” and another labeled “share button.” The “Share button” action serves the same purpose as the “share” action, making it redundant.
- When viewing a data chart in the native Weather app — for instance the wind or temperature charts for the day — the “Chart Details” VoiceOver rotor menu item does not work. Note the “Describe chart” and “Play audio graph” menu items work as expected.
- In Settings, VoiceOver does not speak the information displayed about devices linked to your Apple ID, such as the serial number and model.
Other Reported Bugs
We recommend that you read the following threads in our forum, as they mention some bugs which have not been encountered or yet reproduced by any of our team so are not included above:
- iOS 16, Should You Update as a VoiceOver User?
- iOS 16 release candidate now available
- Warning about Direct Touch before you update to iOS 16
- VoiceOver Bug in iOS 16.0 That causes Routine Voiceover crashes
- Bugs in IOs 16 that I haven't seen mentioned
- Tom's voice quality in iOS 16
- Messages in iOS 16 - The good and the bad
If you encounter any additional VoiceOver, Braille or low vision bugs in iOS 16, please let others know by posting a reply below. When doing so, please provide as much information as possible so that others know exactly what to expect; when and where the problem occurs; and any possible workarounds you have found.
Accessibility Improvements in iOS 16
Our testing suggests that the following pre-existing accessibility bugs have been resolved or significantly addressed in iOS 16:
- When listening to audio through wireless headphones, you should no longer find that on occasions the volume level drops significantly when the device goes to sleep
- After connecting a USB HID compatible Braille display, there are now acknowledgements that the device is connected
- If a HID compatible Braille display is connected over USB and has had custom commands added through Bluetooth, the custom commands now work with USB
- When a HID compatible Braille display is connected through USB, it is now possible to use contractions which contain a symbol before a letter
- On the Weather app's small widget, the graphic that visually indicates the current weather conditions is now recognized and announced by VoiceOver
- On the Weather app's small widget, the high and low temperature information is no longer spoken twice by VoiceOver
If you encounter any additional fixes or improvements during your own use of iOS 16, please let us know by posting a reply below.
We have been compiling these lists of new bugs for every major iOS release since iOS 7. In our opinion, although iOS 16 introduces a number of new bugs for VoiceOver and Braille users, it should be a stable and usable update for most use cases. However, there are certain to be more issues discovered and shared; so, if you haven't already upgraded, we would strongly recommend that you take a few moments to read through any replies to this post before doing so. You may also want to consider that in recent years, Apple has typically fixed a significant number of VoiceOver and Braille bugs in the first couple of updates to follow major iOS releases.
When posting in the comments, we ask that you please keep discussion on-topic and related specifically to accessibility bugs introduced or resolved in iOS 16. Our announcement posts about yearly major iOS updates usually receive a significant number of helpful replies; making it all the more important that readers be able to quickly navigate through the comments to find the information they need. Additionally, when posting, please remember that the decision about whether or not to install a software update is personal; and that everyone's situation is different and there is no right or wrong answer. Posts criticizing others on their upgrade decisions are not constructive and do nothing to add to the discussion. You should also accept that not personally experiencing a bug mentioned above or in the comments does not mean that the bug does not exist. As stated above, bugs can be specific to a device, configuration or use case. Telling somebody that the bug they are experiencing does not exist on the basis that you haven't encountered it is not helpful.
Finally, we would like to take this opportunity to publicly thank Apple's Accessibility Team for their timely response to a majority of the bug reports filed by our team during the beta cycle. It continues to be clear from our experience that the Accessibility Team has strived to ensure that iOS offers the best possible experience to blind and low vision users.
Battery Issue and no speech issue
Remember, when iOS is updated, especially a major one like 16, the iPhone needs to redo it index of data. This can take several days, depending on how much stuff you have in your phone. Don't panic yet. Give it a week.
For those of you who have Braille displays, use that if your phone stops working. You have no voice but you do have a way to get into your phone possibly.
Just some handy tips...
Possible fix for entering PIN with no VO after restart.
I haven’t had this bug thankfully but understand how it must be one of the worst because the phone is completely unusable. I have just been setting up my new 14 Pro Max and after a restart I entered my PIN with my Bluetooth keyboard and suddenly realised that might be a fix for anyone else with this bug who can’t enter the PIN on screen? If I’ve misunderstood the bug then ignore this comment but if it is how I understand it a Bluetooth keyboard will resolve this problem. Startup sound is great by the way and the phone is incredibly quick. Speakers are so much better than my 11 Pro Max that I can increase speed of VO from 75% to 85% and still understand just as well.
I updated my iPhone 11 from 15.6.1 to 16 and Alex was working fine until it randomly changed inflection. Now it sounds absolutely awful! Is there a way to fix this? I still say the best version of Alex was in Snow Leopard and I wish we had that version. I've switched back to the female Siri voice 4 because it's the only thing I can tolerate anymore. They upgraded Vocalizer to the awful new compressed version, so every single voice including Ava sounds like garbage now.
Recent Call bug
Not sure if this has already been reported. In iOS 15, there was a bug where VoiceOver users could not reliably double tap on a number in the recent call log. Double tapping could result in the phone dialing another number on the list. I updated on Monday and so far I've been able to double tap on a number on the recents list with 100% accuracy.
VO stuck in a loop with Messages app
1: Ensure that VoiceOver is enabled.
2. Open The Messages app.
3. Select a conversation and place focus on the Back button.
4. Swipe a few times.
If you're in my situation, VO will speak the contact name and the Facetime button ok and then go to the back button again. I to either tap somewhere random on the screen or use the gesture I made to go to the bottom of the screen to get VO out of this loop.
Weird wallpaper behavior and another memoji issue
So I go into wallpaper, and no matter where I am on the wallpaper screen it will still show the actions rotor with "Wallpaper Collections". Is it supposed to do that? Are there submenus? Even when I'm on a heading, which makes navigating by heading hard because I keep having to move the rotor.
As for memejis I posted in a previous post about memoji bugs but now I have now discovered that when you navigate with the three items, eyes, head and nose, sometimes head is duplicated and skip nose. I go back to nose and eyes is duplicated. So yeah I find in general memojis are a pretty buggy section in general.
Braille Display workaround and another question
Yes I hope that braille display works I hope because I can use my braille display well with the passcode field—Quick tip: Although you might be not be able too pen the password text field with VO so it opens like a regular text field, you just so it just says "0 of _" values entered where _ is the number of values it has, and it doesn't say Passcode field at the top, then just enter it with the display! No need to swipe around the keypad to do it! But yes I am hoping braille display alternative works, because I am getting nervous to reboot my phone. It didn't stop working after I initially installed IOS 16, in fact, when I came into the room where it was charging, it was spouting out that infamous hello message quite loudly like "Hello! I'm here and you better start paying attention to me!" (I really hate when it does that) Haha so yeah im not as worried but still... Anyone who experienced this did it happen on the initial install of the update?
Speech Pitch and Rate Bugs
I figured out the issue with Alex. It sounded strange because I went from 50% pitch to 100, then back to 50. If you go from 0 to 50, it resets itself. The novelty voices also have rate issues, particularly the ones like Pipe Organ and Cellos that sing. I'll be reporting these to Apple.
nobody’s using the phone the same way or using the same iOS
This website can be extraordinarily frustrating to use. Literally everybody is at a different level of usability and comprehension. Everybody’s using iOS in 100 different ways. And everybody is using different versions of iOS.
I think there needs to be a separation of user level. I think there should be sections specifically for novices, intermediate, and experienced users. I think there must be stronger guidelines to follow. Namely, if a person is coming onto the forum about an issue for iOS 15, then their comments should be specifically regulated to sections for people who want to talk about iOS 15. It has no place in the section for iOS 16.
There could be may be a neutral zone where people can meet in the middle. However, how’s any progress supposed to be made when people can’t even agree about how a simple action is completed? The only reason I ever come on this website is to gather some information in regards to bug reports that I end up submitting. I know that I’ve said that I wouldn’t be coming back on this website and that I wouldn’t be posting anymore. And that makes me a little bit of a hypocrite Except that once in a while. Literally, every once in a while, somebody does post some thing worthwhile and meaningful. It can actually be helpful. The language is strong and the post provides really useful information to actually work with. I just don’t know why there can’t be some separation of skill level.
IOS 16.1 Beta
IOS 16.1 Beta fixed the notification bug in the lock screen. Extremely happy, because now I can open notifications again in the lock screen as well as the focus bug in the App Switcher is also gone
Yes, I do sometimes find it frustrating that no one is responding to my inquiries because there are about a thousand others on the same blog that people are seeing. They do the user level thing on the official apple support forums.
I agree about stronger guidelines for sure
You are indeed correct about IOS being used a hundred different ways, but there needs to be a sense of unity, not discouragement and otherwise poor conduct on this site. I've not been perfect, i'll b the first to call myself out. However if all we do is ask frustrating things like is this bug fixed, when maybe I don't have it, or my personal hell, should i upgrade? No one can choose that but the user. For me, I've been reading the bugs submitted and resolved and am choosing to stick with IOS15 for now. There's also such a language barrier at times that it's difficult to understand what the end user really is trying to ask or wants out of his or her experience. we get so wrapped up in things like what voice is better etc, that we've los tour sense of community. I only read a few things on here and go on my way doing my own thing. I'd love to see us get back to helping and being a good sounding board because to be completely honest, i wouldn't ever let even a CSR person from apple itself read such stuff that's on here. And before I get attacked, I know no one is forcing me to use the site.
Should we make a separate post about this? staying on topic, remember?
Voices sound weird?
Has apple changed the intonation of every voice? Since updating, Daniel uk intonates differently to Daniel on iOS 15. Is this expected behaviour? It sounds harsher, more grating and less clear. What have they done
Dariush's Farsi text is not activated. I have to manually switch
Hello, I use Daniyal, when I go to the Persian text message, Dariush becomes silent and does not read anything. I have to switch to Persian so that Dariush can read the Persian Text.
Hi, I’m using an iPhone 10R and am having a couple of really frustrating bugs.
First, after the update, things seemed good but then after my screen locked, voiceover started saying all punctuation. At first restarting the phone fixed this, but now nothing does. It doesn’t matter what my punctuation verbosity settings are, it’s saying all punctuation. I can barely stand to read on it.
Second, I get a notification summary twice a day. When I double tap to open the summary, it opens but voiceover can’t read the notification. If there are three news notifications, when I touch each one, all voiceover says is news but doesn’t read the notification. This seems to happen only with a notification summary.
Also, not sure if this is a voiceover bug or not, but this morning when I was listening to a podcast, the sound stopped but when I went to start it playing again, it was still playing but with no sound - this was on Spotify
If anyone has found a work around for any of these, I would really appreciate it. With this punctuation, I’m actually really sorry I did the update.
You may wish to change the voice to see if that helps.
Thanks for the suggestion – I’ve tried a bunch of different voices, US, UK, and they all seem to be doing it.
Braille Screen Input Bug
I didn't see this bug mentioned in the post, and I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in the comments, though it didn't appear to be there at first glance. I ran the betas of iPad OS 16 and have the official release of IOS 16 on my IPhone 12 mini and have experienced the following issue on both devices. There seems to be an issue with using braille screen input if using a language other than your default. For example, my default language is US English with Alex as the voice. If, for instance, I use the rotor and select UK English with Stephanie as the voice, after I type a word using braille screen input and space, the word reads with Alex. It does the same thing if I delete characters or words. I'd like to see the voice stay consistent across the board like it used to. I reported this bug directly to Apple but figured I'd point it out here too in case anyone else is having this issue.
A bug I am experiencing
I have experienced a bug mentioned before that I just noticed when I restarted my phone earlier today. So, I was able to unlock my phone with VO okay (yay!) but then it asked for my apple ID password. I know somebody here said they were having this issue. Has anyone reported it to Apple and/or know of a workaround?
Re Punctuation issue
Check your activities. This was an IOS 14 bug, and it turned out to be punctuation under Accessibility > VoiceOver > Activities > Programming, and check the punctuation settings there.
I don't know if this a bug or if I need to change my settings.
Before IOS 16.0, I would ask Siri "How do I say "whatever I want to translate" in Spanish. Seri would return the information in speech as well as on screen. Now I cannot get her to display the information on screen. She says the translated phrase but does not display it.
Yes definitely a bug
I just tried, and yes it's true for me too, it doesn't show onscreen! EITHER that or VO just won't read it.
The serious bug with the app switcher and invert colors only applies to smart invert, if you use classic invert and trigger the app switcher, this problem does not occur.
About the different types of invert color settings: classic invert is the Older invert colors setting before iOS 10, smart invert is introduced in iOS 10 or above and does not reverse colors for images, and classic invert is a setting that invert everything on the screen including pictures, I guess for certain people, there is a workaround with using classic invert colors for the app switcher behavior.
And for the devices with home button, there is no feedback at all that the app switcher has been triggered, when you Double click the home button.
Hopefully it gets fixed in the next release of iOS 16
Four-finger tap unreliable
I use a four-finger single tap at top or bottom of screen to jump to the first or last control on the screen. With iOS 16, this gesture sometimes works, but fails to work frequently enough that it has become a source of frustration. When it fails to work, it seems to behave the same as a three-finger single tap. So the problem seems to be that iOS is missing the fourth finger much more frequently than in previous releases.
4 finger singe tap
I experienced the same problem with the 4 finger single tap, so I redefined the 4 finger single tap to be go to last item. For go to first item, I just 2 finger swipe up. This works fine.
Re: voices sounding weird
I also think the daniel enhanced UK voice has changed. I've had to speed it up as well because it sounds weirdly slow at the rate I've been using it at for more than 7 years!!
Also some mispronunciations have been introduced.
I've been trying some of the US English voices in an attempt to find a suitable replacement for Tom, but so far, I haven't found any better alternative. In addition to Tom sounding worse, he's also developed some mispronunciations. For instance, he pronounces sample as simple when listening to the voice samples. He also pronounces wallet as wullet. Other voices have similar but different problems. For example, Nathan sounds like he's saying sex instead of settings. I'm finding this very annoying and frustrating.
Here's how to open notifications with VoiceOver on iOS 16
I guess the way to open notifications with VoiceOver has been changed on iOS 16.
Here's how I've managed to open them:
Double-tap on a notification and drag your finger right. boom!
Sometimes, it doesn't work in the first attempt. If that happens to you, give it a second shot. If that doesn't work either, give it a third attempt.
Smallish App Switcher Bug
I've noticed in the app switcher that I sometimes get apps listed twice. For example, I'll swipe and get Mail, then Netnewswire, then Mail again. When this happens, the phantom extra app doesn't work properly with the actions menu. When I swipe up it says heading not found. The other day I had two duplicate apps.
Is this a bug or is it some weird feature that only makes sense if you can see?
The other thing I've noticed is a 3 finger swipe up sometimes closes a different app to what I am expecting. Quite likely it's in conjunction with the other issue.
I have seen this too, but only in the top of the switcher. The app on the top ,is duplicated. This seems to be because, when VO is disabled there is a label with the app's name on it, for reference, and you have to swipe up on the app icon to close it. But, since the app name is already on the icon with VO enabled, VO is having trouble determining which one is the app itself or which one is the label above it. VO doesn't need to have labels with the app's name on a separate element next to the actual app, because the app is already labeled.
Deleting messages in Mail
The other thing I've noticed is that deleting messages in Mail doesn't work most of the time. It says "message deleted" but it's still there.
I was going to post that earlier, but it seemed to work when I tested it (for the first time since I upgraded). But then I tried again and, no joy.
My sighted wife has noticed the same behavior on her iPhone 10s running IOS 16. However, she says that after she closes the messages app and removes it from her app switcher and then goes back into the messages app, she notices that the messages refusing to delete have deleted. She says that sometimes this might take hours.
On my own iPhone 10s running IOS 16, I haven't noticed the problem at all.
Said Mail not Messages
Are you talking about mail? That's what the problem seems to be about.
I can open Notification Just Fine
I go into notif ication center and double-tap a notification it works as expected. Weird. Double-tapping and dragging though strangely it does not give me the "Item not found" sound a thousand times, it just kinda... waits for me? I dunno. Sometimes notification won't open, but then I just open them on my iPad. No trouble. Glad to know there's (hopefully) a real workaround for this so I can consistently open notifications from my phone again.
Same notification problem as Janelle
I'm also experiencing the same notification bug on the iPhone 13 pro. It doesn't seem to be as common though. Still trying to find a solution also. What model do you have Janelle?
Email and Messages bugs
A couple bugs I've run into on a 13 Pro Max:
I am completely unable to send pictures in Messages with Voiceover turned on. When I open the pictures viewer nothing can be selected.
I'm not sure why this happens but periodically Voiceover will just freeze up in Mail. It will read the subject line but act as if the email itself doesn't exist. I have to turn VO off and back on and reopen the email to read it. It can happen with any email, I haven't found a pattern yet.
Re: Voices sound weird?
Definitely! It's a disaster on iOS 16 and later iOS 16.1.
Navigating by word unreliable in iOS 16
Has anyone else experienced VO not reading correctly when you navigate by word, this worked in iOS 15 option left or right arrow was a good way of proof reading but now its all over the place. Honestly text editing is getting worse not better and it’s a bloody basic feature of any computing device. I want apple to come on here and explain how and why they expect us to pay full price for partial function year after year. It’s not good enough.
In iOS 16, the visual voiceover cursor that surrounds the element that is in Voiceover focus does not appear to be as bold as it was in iOS 15. In some occasions, it does not fully surround the focused element. This is particularly frustrating for individuals who rely on a combination of visual cues and Voiceover speech to navigate their iPhone. This problem is especially noticeable when the phone is in dark mode. When in dark mode, the voice over focus cursor appears very dull and does not stand out as much as it did in iOS 15. As far as I know, there is no way to fix this issue in settings. This problem is still present in the newest beta of iOS 16.2. I hope Apple fixes this soon because it is preventing me from upgrading to iOS 16 on my main device. I figured I would mention this issue because I do not see a lot on it in this forum.
Yes, I can reproduce something similar. Sometimes VO navigating by word seems to more often than not register as a tap of the spacebar or the rotor keys, adding a bunch of extra characters to what I'm currently typing.
When I try to find the audio record I find it press it and if I keep focus on that button I can stop it, but no send button. Otherwise I move focus away and than just the audio length is visible no stop button. Anyone know of a good and reliable way to send audio?
Issues in volume, not turning up or down on the iPhone
Hi there to everyone,
Not sure if anybody else is having this issue but with my iPhone 12 mini running the latest iOS 16.1. I cannot turn the volume up or down with the buttons. I have tried all the particular settings and it doesn’t make a difference. Also, I hear that this bug is still present in 16.2 beta.
Look forward to hearing your responses.
iPadOS Books app
Apple has completely remade the iPadOS books app, and wondering how to use it. Happier that the text area in the book is a little friendlier, but still don't know: • How to remove a sample from a library using the search screen (More actions does nothing) • Go out of the book using the back button (it too does nothing) • How to locate the table of contents • how to use the new page chooser. Can someone help? For now still have my iPhone, which is strangely unaffected by these changes ghx seems to be only iPadOS change, but I would like quite a bit to use it on my iPad again. Thank you!
No haven't seen this.
I have an issue with my contacts
hoI have two groups of contacts, iCloud and iPhone contacts. when i look at my iPhone contacts it displays i have no contacts. however when i view my iCloud contacts i have 9. whats funny is my iPhone won't switch to using iCloud because i have custom ring tones in my iPhone contacts and since my phone displays i have zero contacts it won't play those sounds. what's funny is if i ask Siri to message or call one of my contacts i can do that. how can i get my contacts back in the iPhone section?
Lists in contacts is a new feature. Icloud contacts I think are well just the contacts you have if you have icloud contacts enabled in settings, and add something from iphone is not shared in icloud, I think. It's funny, because mine just say "Contacts" I go to lists, and I click on icloud, for example, and it will show all my contacts, because all of them are in icloud. But then I can't get it back to "Contacts" view, unless I close the app or leave it a good while and then it's back to normal. I'd just turn off iCloud contacts entirely, if you think it's worth it. It seems like the only thing to me that will help in this situation.
voice dictation bug in ios 16.1.1
I am very surprised as no one has yet spoken of the bug on voice dictationin ios 16.1.1
every time I try to use voice dictation, with voice over, VO loses the speech and then I have to do some tricks to get back the speech...
I can hear the vo navigation sounds, but the speech is not active...
for me this is the worst bug in ios 16.
I'm pretty sure this bug isn't just for me!
why hasn't anyone mentioned this big bug yet?
strange, very strange.
please let's all report this bug to apple accessibility!
I'm using IOS 16.1.1 on my iPhone 10s without any dictation problems.
Is it just for me? I can't believe it.
hi, thank you for feedback.
strange. i have an iPhone 13 and i'm with this damn bug very strong on my ios 16.1.1
let's hear what the other applevis friends have more to tell us.
if there are more people with this bug, I ask you please report the team email@example.com
for those who supposedly have this bug, is there any workaround for this damn bug?