Apple has today released tvOS 16.3 and HomePod software version 16.3.
tvOS updates tend to be smaller in scope compared to the annual major release and often focus on resolving bugs and improving performance. As Apple does not provide release notes for tvOS updates, it's uncertain whether tvOS 16.3 includes any user-facing changes. We will have to wait and see what this update brings. We will keep you informed by updating this post if any noteworthy changes are discovered.
HomePod software version 16.3 includes a handful of changes for the HomePod mini, the original HomePod, and optimizations for the recently launched HomePod (2nd generation).
In Apple’s release notes, the company confirms that the temperature and humidity sensor in the HomePod mini is now active. Other changes in HomePod software version 16.3 include:
- Find My on HomePod now enables you to ask Siri for the location of friends and family if they have shared it with you
- Recurring Home automations can be set up using just your voice
- Siri confirmation tone will now play to indicate when smart home requests are completed for accessories that may not visibly show a change or are located in a different room
- Audio tuning optimizes spoken content such as podcasts for even greater clarity on HomePod (2nd generation) and HomePod (1st generation)
- Updated volume controls on HomePod (1st generation) give you more granular adjustments at lower volumes
We are unaware of any changes, improvements, or regressions for blind and low vision users in today's updates. We will continue to monitor the situation and update this post if any new information becomes available.
We strive to provide the most comprehensive and accurate information about the accessibility status of Apple software releases. However, as a small team, it is impossible for us to test every device, configuration, application, and use case. That's why we depend on our community to help us ensure that our information is as complete and accurate as possible. If you have tested today's releases for accessibility, please share any additional fixes, enhancements, or regressions you've discovered in the comments below. Your feedback is invaluable in helping us provide the best information to our readers.
To install tvOS 16.3 on Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD, go to the Settings channel, then look for the System section near the bottom. From here, look for Software Updates under Maintenance, then select Update Software and Download and Install. Wait for your Apple TV to download the update. Don't disconnect or unplug your Apple TV until the update completes.
By default, HomePod and HomePod mini automatically install new software updates, but you can manually check for updates in the Home app on your iPhone, iPad or Mac.