We are pleased to announce that voting for the 2019 inductees into the AppleVis iOS App Hall of Fame is now open.
Now in its eighth year, the AppleVis iOS App Hall of Fame is one of the ways in which the AppleVis community seeks to recognize developers of accessible iOS applications. Apps in the Hall of Fame can be liberating; empowering; life-changing; provide access to information that sighted users take for granted; or, in some cases, they can just be good fun.
To be eligible for induction into the AppleVis iOS App Hall of Fame, an app must:
- Be fully accessible to blind and low vision users;
- Be from a developer with a demonstrated and long-term commitment to full accessibility of their app(s);
- Have been available in the App Store for a significant period of time; and
- Demonstrate excellence in design, functionality and operation.
In short, the iOS App Hall of Fame represents the best of the best in accessible iOS applications, as decided by the AppleVis community.
Below are the nominees for the 2019 induction into the AppleVis iOS App Hall of Fame. The two nominees with the most votes will be inducted.
1Password - Password Manager
1Password remembers all your passwords for you, and keeps them safe and secure behind the one password that only you know.
1Password: the password manager that's as beautiful and simple as it is secure. Just add your passwords and let 1Password do the rest. Sign in to websites and apps with just a few taps, and use the password generator to change your passwords and make them stronger.
- Create strong, unique passwords and memorizable pass-phrases for your online accounts
- Fill usernames, passwords, credit card numbers and addresses into websites and supported apps
- Access your information on all your mobile devices and computers
- Store items in more than a dozen categories: logins, credit cards, addresses, notes, bank accounts, driver’s licenses, passports, and more
- Create multiple vaults to keep different areas of your life separate
- Organize your information with tags and favorites
- Add custom fields to your items to store security questions, extra URLs, and any other information you can think of
- Use Spotlight to search for information when you need it
Everything you store in 1Password is protected by a Master Password that only you know. 1Password uses end-to-end encryption, so your data is only ever decrypted offline. The encryption keys never leave your device, and you are the only one who can see your passwords.
BitLife - Life Simulator
How will you live your BitLife?
Will you try to make all the right choices in an attempt to become a model citizen sometime before you die? You could marry the man/woman of your dreams, have kids, and pick up a good job along the way.
Or will you make choices that horrify your parents? You could descend into a life of crime, start prison riots, smuggle duffle bags, and cheat on your spouse.
It's all up to you...
Every year at its Worldwide Developers’ Conference (WWDC), Apple celebrates and acknowledges through its Apple Design Awards the mobile and desktop apps which raise the bar in design, technology and innovation. Blackbox was a 2017 winner of this prestigious award; cited by Apple as recognition of the app being "fully accessible, and offering unique and ingenious gameplay, deep iOS integration, and clever innovations."
According to Apple’s own report on the 2017 Design Awards, Blackbox is:
... a refreshingly stimulating, engrossing, and clever puzzle game that breaks through the “fourth wall” of iPhone to take you beyond the screen and make your world a part of each solution. Designed and developed by one person, Blackbox was chosen as an Apple Design Award winner for being fully accessible, and offering unique and ingenious gameplay, deep iOS integration, and clever innovations. Blackbox offers puzzles that rely on minimalistic clues, deliberate movement, elegant animations, and visual cues to expand creative thinking and encourage players to solve puzzles by turning, shouting, clicking, snapping, and more. It is fully accessible, taking a highly visual interface designed to be navigated by touch and and other sensory inputs, and adding a brilliant sonic interface that enables a new world of gameplay for everyone. It uses haptics for sensory feedback to make puzzles more personal, nuanced, and tactile, and relies heavily on the iPhone’s camera, accelerometer, gyroscope, and magnetometer to enable sensory inputs. Additionally, by using CoreAudio, CoreLocation, Core Telephony, AVCaptureSession, iCloud, and Game Center in novel ways, this app takes advantage of an enormous range of iOS technologies. Blackbox challenges the player's ingenuity and creativity through innovative presentation and unique interactions. The result is a game that is impressively clever and unlike anything we’ve played before.
Ryan McLeod, the developer of Blackbox, has actively engaged with members of the AppleVis community in his efforts to enhance the gameplay and user experience for VoiceOver users.
Designed for readers with dyslexia, low vision or blindness, Dolphin EasyReader provides direct access to browse & read books and newspapers from more than 20 accessible libraries from across the world.
From the App Store:
EasyReader is a FREE accessible reading app for readers with dyslexia, low vision or blindness. Browse & download from the World's largest collection of talking book and newspaper libraries. Or copy text from anywhere on your phone & hear EasyReader read it back to you. Experience perfectly synchronized text & audio. Or for text only titles, EasyReader can add a human sounding voice of your choice. Boost comfort or contrast - choose colours, text size and highlights to suit your visual needs.
Make your books' text as big as your eyes require. Unlike other mainstream reading apps, there's no restriction with EasyReader. Zoom in with a standard 2 finger pinch or make fine adjustments with the simple sliders. There's never any blurry text or fuzzy fonts - your books' words are always crystal clear and always easy on the eye.
Navigate your books or newspapers by skipping directly to specific pages or headings. Search your book for words or phrases. Add text bookmarks or record your own audio bookmarks and return to them with ease.
EasyReader is fully optimized for use with iOS VoiceOver and iOS supported Braille displays.
See what you can’t with Envision, the fastest and most reliable app that describes the visual world around you with the help of artificial intelligence and OCR. Envision is carefully designed with the help of the visually impaired community, to bring the best assistive app to the blind and low vision. Read text in over 60 languages, use the magnifier, scan barcodes or your environment and so much more.
With full VoiceOver support, Envision helps you:
- Read Instantly - Read text instantly in over 60 different languages. Available fully offline for latin-based languages like English.
- Read documents - Scan documents with one or multiple pages at once, with the help of Envision in framing the document.
- Read Handwriting - Read handwritten postcards, letters, lists or any neat handwriting.
- Describe Scenes - Describes any scene around you with accuracy.
- Detect Colors- Detect colors on any surface.
- Scan Barcodes - Scan barcodes easily and get more information about products.
- Scan & find - Scan your surroundings to recognize faces and objects you have taught Envision among everything else.
- Envision everything - Share with Envision any file you want to access! Simply, select the file or photo from your phone archive or while on another app, tap share and select “Envision”, to access anything, anytime.
FEER is made from the scratch to be fully accessible with VoiceOver and is the first endless runner for visual impaired and sighted gamers at equal rights. All screens are fully accessible with the screenreader. Use the quick navigation to quickly jump between the headings.
Dense fog will make it hard to see the Zombies. Slide underneath the Ravens and jump over the Zombies, trying to grasp your feet. But save the fairies or you will run blind and have to run in the dark. Only those with the best ears survive in this dark world and can save the fairies’ light.
FlickType's universal design makes typing easier, faster and more comfortable than ever, regardless of visual ability or screen size — even on a smartwatch!
FlickType is designed to be as accessible as possible, featuring large keys, highly readable visual announcements, high-contrast color themes, and much more.
FlickType can speak back to you when you type or edit, enabling a completely eyes-free writing experience. People who are blind write millions of words every month using it, typing just as fast as everyone else.
Say goodbye to painfully slow editing operations. Delete and change entire words with a single flick of your finger. Control the cursor directly from the keyboard. When typing, don't slow down and try to be accurate. Simply tap-type where it feels right and FlickType's unique algorithm will find the correct word from the pattern of your taps.
FlickType users type a whole three to four times faster compared to the standard keyboard, VoiceOver typing, or even dictation after edits. And utilizing the standard QWERTY layout means you don’t have to learn a new way to type. Emoji, text shortcuts, and deep customization options make typing fluid and fun, just as it should be.
Game World: Play With Friends
With EIGHT fun games, chat functionality, and 100% voiceover accessibility, Game World sets the standard for social gaming. Advance your level by playing any one of the eight games and then share (or taunt) your results with friends using the in game chat!
- Simon Says
- Trivia Trail
- Pirate Poker
- Barracks Blackjack
- Battle Cats
- Word Builder
Game World is 100% voiceover accessible and fun for all to play. Available in English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, and Japanese to allow you to test your skill against opponents all over the world!
Microsoft Soundscape uses 3D audio technology to enhance your awareness of what is around you, and thereby help you get around and explore your surroundings.
Soundscape will place audio cues and labels in 3D space such that they sound like they are coming from the direction of the points of interest, parks, roads and other features in your surroundings.
Soundscape is designed to live in the background and provide you with effortless ambient awareness. Therefore, feel free to use it in conjunction with other apps such as podcasts, audio books, email and even GPS navigation.
- As you walk, Soundscape will automatically call out the key points of interest, roads and intersections that you pass. These can be adjusted and turned on and off.
- An audio beacon can be placed on a point of interest, and you will hear it as you move around. You can place an audio beacon on a point of interest that you would like to track such as your destination, a point to return to or a landmark you are familiar with.
- “My Location” describes your current location and the direction you are facing.
- "Nearby Markers" describes nearby places you have marked.
- “Around Me” describes nearby points of interest in each of the four cardinal directions, helping with orientation. Try this out when getting off a bus or leaving a train station.
- “Ahead of Me” describes points of interest in front of you, for example when walking down the street.
- The expandable Callout History section lets you review callouts you have heard, repeat callouts, hear more information about them, and more.
Siri Shortcuts deliver a quick way to get things done with your apps with just a tap or by asking Siri. The Shortcuts app enables you to create personal shortcuts with multiple steps from your favorite apps. Start from hundreds of examples in the Gallery or drag and drop to create your own.
Shortcuts includes over 300 built-in actions and works with many of your favorite apps including Contacts, Calendar, Maps, Music, Photos, Camera, Reminders, Safari, Health as well as any app that supports Siri Shortcuts.
Use the Shortcuts app to:
- Get directions home, send your ETA and start listening to the news, just by asking Siri
- Add a home screen icon that calls a loved one
- Make animated GIFs
- Make PDFs from Safari or any app with a share sheet
- Get directions to the nearest coffee shop in one tap
- Tweet the song you're listening to
- Get all of the images on a web page
- Send a message including the last screenshot you took
- And so much more...
Shortcuts can be launched from the Today widget, from Search or by asking Siri. You can even add an app icon to your home screen for your favorite Shortcuts.
Travelear: Listen to the World
Travelear promises to take your ears on an adventure like never before! You can finally go to a variety of destinations and environments with a pair of headphones and the click of a button. With Travelear you can hop across the pond and experience the hustle and bustle of London's famous Flower Market or even take a trip down to New Orleans jazz-filled streets. If you're not in the mood for a new city sound then you can always get up close and personal with forest wildlife or simply sit back and relax on your porch as a summer thunderstorm passes by. Let our sounds immerse you into an environmental narrative and make you feel like you are actually there.
- 3D experiences created exclusively for Travelear
- Organic recordings designed to tell a story
- Captured with the latest in 3D microphones
- Recorded and composed by Professional Audio Engineers
- HD sound quality
- HD images provide a visual for the experience
- Map View allows you to choose your destination
Take a break from your day, go somewhere fun. Sit back, relax, and choose your destination.
Voice Dream Scanner
Scan paper documents with the camera and recognize text. Listen using built-in text-to-speech. Save and export. Unlimited use: no subscriptions or additional charges.
State-of-the-art A.I. for OCR and text recognition: Fast and accurate, even in poor lighting conditions. Works entirely on device: No need for internet and your data stays private.
ScanTone, a sound that represents the amount of recognizable text in the camera's field of view in real time. It uses artificial intelligence to analyze the live feed from the camera for text, angle, rotation, and document edges.
Export scans as plain text or PDF with embedded text to another app, or save them on your local device, iCloud, Dropbox, or Google Drive.
Works with Voice Dream Reader, our full-featured text-to-speech reader. After downloading this app, you will be able access the scanner directly from Reader. In addition, you'll be able to read scanned PDF documents in Reader.
Use the form below to cast your vote now.
Please note that you need to be registered and logged in to vote. So, if you don't see the voting form, please login and return to this page.
Voting closes at 23:59 PST on Saturday, June 29, 2019.
To protect the integrity and authenticity of the AppleVis iOS App Hall of Fame, voting is only open to blind and low vision users who have no employment relationship with any of the shortlisted developers. If you are not a blind or low vision user; or if you are a blind or low vision user who has an employment relationship with any of the shortlisted developers, please do not cast a vote.
AppleVis reserves the wright to disqualify apps which, in our sole discretion, receive non-genuine votes that would influence the outcome of the induction.
If there is a particular iOS app that you would like to see considered for the next round of inductions, please take a moment to nominate it here.