We are pleased to announce that voting for the 2021 inductees into the AppleVis iOS App Hall of Fame is now open.
Now in its tenth year, our Hall of Fame is one of the ways in which the AppleVis community seeks to recognize developers of accessible iOS applications. Apps in the Hall of Fame can be liberating; empowering; life-changing; provide access to information that sighted users take for granted; or, in some cases, they can just be good fun.
To be eligible for induction into the AppleVis iOS App Hall of Fame, an app must:
- Be fully accessible to blind and low vision users;
- Be from a developer with a demonstrated and long-term commitment to full accessibility of their app(s);
- Demonstrate excellence in design, functionality and operation;
- Have been available in the App Store for a significant period of time; and
- Be under active development.
In short, ourHall of Fame represents the best of the best in accessible iOS applications, as decided by the AppleVis community. Existing inductees include A Blind Legend, BARD Mobile, BlindSquare, MBraille, Seeing AI, TapTapSee, Timecrest: The Door, Twitterrific: Tweet Your Way, Voice Dream Reader, and Weather Gods. The full list of inductees can be found on the Hall of Fame page.
Below are the nominees for the 2021 induction into the AppleVis iOS App Hall of Fame. The two nominees with the highest number of votes will be inducted.
1Password - Password Manager
1Password remembers all your passwords for you, and keeps them safe and secure behind the one password that only you know.
1Password: the password manager that's as beautiful and simple as it is secure. Just add your passwords and let 1Password do the rest. Sign in to websites and apps with just a few taps, and use the password generator to change your passwords and make them stronger.
- Create strong, unique passwords and memorizable pass-phrases for your online accounts
- Fill usernames, passwords, credit card numbers and addresses into websites and supported apps
- Access your information on all your mobile devices and computers
- Store items in more than a dozen categories: logins, credit cards, addresses, notes, bank accounts, driver’s licenses, passports, and more
- Create multiple vaults to keep different areas of your life separate
- Organize your information with tags and favorites
- Add custom fields to your items to store security questions, extra URLs, and any other information you can think of
- Use Spotlight to search for information when you need it
Everything you store in 1Password is protected by a Master Password that only you know. 1Password uses end-to-end encryption, so your data is only ever decrypted offline. The encryption keys never leave your device, and you are the only one who can see your passwords.
Read more about 1Password - Password Manager
Cash Reader: Bill Identifier
Cash Reader identifies banknote denomination for the largest number of currencies.
Point your camera to the money in hand and hear, see or feel its value.
Read more about Cash Reader: Bill Identifier
Doing It Right
Doing it Right is an audio puzzle with brain-busting challenge. Test your hearing and logic.
Follow the sound instructions and win the game. With each chapter and level instructions will become more difficult and mental discomfort stronger. Try to test yourself. It is harder than it seems at first sight.
The game consists of two modes: an endless and a normal one. A normal mode includes 11 chapters (60+ levels), while an endless mode can be played endlessly.
Read more about Doing It Right
EasyReader is a FREE accessible reading app for readers with dyslexia, low vision or blindness. Browse & download from the World's largest collection of talking book and newspaper libraries. Or copy text from anywhere on your phone & hear EasyReader read it back to you. Experience perfectly synchronized text & audio. Or for text only titles, EasyReader can add a human sounding voice of your choice. Boost comfort or contrast - choose colours, text size and highlights to suit your visual needs.
Make your books' text as big as your eyes require. Unlike other mainstream reading apps, there's no restriction with EasyReader. Zoom in with a standard 2 finger pinch or make fine adjustments with the simple sliders. There's never any blurry text or fuzzy fonts - your books' words are always crystal clear and always easy on the eye.
Navigate your books or newspapers by skipping directly to specific pages or headings. Search your book for words or phrases. Add text bookmarks or record your own audio bookmarks and return to them with ease.
EasyReader is fully optimized for use with iOS VoiceOver and iOS supported Braille displays.
Read more about Dolphin EasyReader
lire: RSS Reader
RSS feeds are a great way to follow updates on your favorite website. However, some sites set up their feeds to only show a portion of each entry, you know, to get you to click through to their actual website. We find that really annoying, and we're sure you do too.
Which is why, unlike other RSS feed readers, that either push you into a browser (in-app or otherwise), or depend on third party text parsing services and require you to be online to fetch the full text of one article at a time (which makes it no different from having to click/tap through to a website), in lire, you get your favorite RSS feeds as they should've been. You don't need to click through to any website (though, you do still have the option to, if you really wanted). It takes your favorite partial feeds, does its magic, and converts them in to full feeds, so you don't have to click/tap on those annoying 'Read more' or 'Continue reading' links.
Once they're cached, you don't even need to be connected to read your full-text feeds.
Read more about lire: RSS Reader
A powerful yet simple podcast player, with Smart Speed, Voice Boost, and Smart Playlists to help you listen to more podcasts in more places, try new shows, and completely control your experience.
Overcast is a modern, fully featured audio podcast player with many useful features in a simple, intuitive interface:
- Download podcasts for playing anytime, even when offline.
- Search and browse for new podcasts, plus get personalized recommendations.
- Create custom Playlists with smart filters and per-podcast priorities, and rearrange the list whenever you want.
- Receive optional notifications when new episodes arrive.
- Subscribe to a podcast, or just add an episode: try new shows without committing.
- Download podcasts over cellular, set a sleep timer, or use Voice Boost to enhance and normalize speech volume.
- Adjust playback speed, and use Smart Speed to shrink silences and pick up extra speed without distorting the conversation.
- Apple Watch app with standalone podcast playback
- CarPlay support
Currently, there are many people that have difficulty reading or understanding the contents and instructions of their prescription medications. The small print and look-alike packaging of medicine vials can lead to confusion, non-compliance, and mistakes. En-Vision America has created a solution to this serious issue with ScripTalk Mobile.
ScripTalk Mobile allows iOS devices with Near Field Communication (NFC) capability to read ScripTalk Talking Labels. These special labels are adhesive RFID tags attached to medication containers by pharmacies participating in the ScriptAbility accessibility program. The patented ScripTalk system uses text-to-speech technology to provide the visually and reading-impaired with audible prescription information.
Read more about ScripTalk Mobile
Speech Central: Voice Reader
Your time is valuable. Don’t spend it in front of the screen addicted to the web. With Speech Central you can take the web on the go.
Listen to the headlines from your favorite sites and select their linked articles to be read by using only the headphones or Bluetooth hands-free. For the first time feel the freedom without the need to prepare your text to speech session in advance.
The app is tested to be accessible by visually impaired users. It has many features specifically tailored to users with disabilities like support for DAISY books, dyslexia friendly font, keyboard shortcuts for the most of commands available in the app and on the iPhone it can be controlled with headphone or Bluetooth hands-free buttons and functions of those buttons can be customized. Combined with the interactive web feature available in the app the latter may make the web much easier to access on the mobile device for a person with eyesight or related disability.
Read more about Speech Central: Voice Reader
Supersense - AI for Blind
Supersense is the smartest and simplest scanner app made for the blind and visually impaired users to read any text format, currency or product details from a barcode independently.
With the power of AI, Supersense automatically figures out what you are trying to scan, guides you on how to point the camera, and reads the content in the right format. Its unique design minimizes the time and frustrations of scanning and reading text for a blind and visually impaired user.
- Smart Scanner: The app automatically detects whether you are trying to quickly read a piece of text, a long document, a currency or a barcode.
- Smart Guidance: The app guides you on how to point the camera and finds the best angle to have the most accurate results
- Quick Read: Instantly read the text presented in front of the rear camera
- Document: Read longer documents with the assistance of smart guidance. Once the text has been recognized, use VoiceOver commands to navigate through the recognized text and share it to other apps.
- Multipage Scanning: Scan documents with multiple pages simultaneously and navigate through the text.
- Currency: Recognize currencies and hear the value of a banknote
- Barcode: Scan barcodes to hear the name and brand of the products with additional information
- Object Explorer and Find: Scan your physical environment and hear about the objects that are around.
- Import: Read and explore text from the images and PDF files. Also you can send them directly from any other apps with using "Recognize with Supersense" tool in your share menu.
- Read History: Displays your recognition history in a single screen.
Read more about Supersense - AI for Blind
Contest Rules and How to Cast Your Vote
Voting for the 2021 AppleVis iOS App Hall of Fame induction is open to all blind and low vision members of our community who are not employees of any of the shortlisted developers. One vote per person.
To cast your vote, you will need to be logged in to the AppleVis website; if you do not already have an account, you can create an account now, then come back to this page to cast your vote. The voting form is at the end of this post, but it will only be displayed to logged in users.
Voting will close at 23:59 PDT on May 28, 2021.