Since its launch in 2010, AppleVis has been the primary online resource for blind and low vision users of Apple products. It is independent, highly valued by its community, and has an established commitment to accessibility advancement and consumer information and empowerment. It is managed by a small Team of unpaid volunteers and receives no external funding or sponsorship; meaning that the financial support of our community is critical in ensuring that AppleVis can continue to deliver the information, help and support that so many people value.
In September 2018 we launched Club AppleVis, offering members and friends of our community a means of directly contributing towards the financial costs of operating AppleVis.
The biggest reward from being a Club AppleVis member is that you will be directly helping to make AppleVis possible. However, as a “thank you”, we offer a number of perks to Club AppleVis members:
- Each year, we offer one Club AppleVis member the opportunity to take part in one of our roundtable podcasts.
- Club AppleVis members have access to an RSS feed containing all of the episodes in our podcast archive, enabling them to browse and play these in their podcatcher of choice. Note that our main podcast feed includes only the 100 most recent episodes, with the remainder accessible via the website.
- With the support of the developers and companies we have come to know through running AppleVis, we will occasionally offer discounts or giveaways to Club AppleVis members.
- Club AppleVis members also have a badge added to their AppleVis user account that recognizes their membership of Club AppleVis and links to the Club AppleVis page. If you do not want this badge added to your account, please just let us know.
It is possible that we may offer additional perks to Club AppleVis members as ideas and opportunities present themselves. However, what we will not be doing is making some content only available to Club AppleVis members, as we believe this would be against the spirit of AppleVis and everything our community strives to offer.
If you are an app developer or behind a product or service that would be of interest and value to Club AppleVis members, please consider partnering with us to offer a discount or giveaway. Use our contact form to reach out and let us know what you have in mind.
How to Join Club AppleVis
To qualify for Club AppleVis membership you will need to have either:
- An active recurring donation towards AppleVis of at least US$1.99 per month, or
- Have made a single donation of at least US$25 in the past 12 months.
If you are ready to join Club AppleVis, simply use the appropriate form below to either setup a recurring micro donation or make a one-off donation. These donations are processed securely via PayPal.
If you wish to make a donation that's smaller than is required for Club AppleVis membership, then please do. All donations make a difference and are truly appreciated, irrespective of the amount.
Thank you for your interest in learning how you can help to cover the financial costs of maintaining and developing AppleVis for the community. It is only with your help that everything AppleVis strives to offer is possible.
Current Accessibility Issues with PayPal
As of February 2020 we are aware of major accessibility issues for VoiceOver users with the PayPal page used for setting up recurring donations. We are currently working with PayPal to resolve this problem. More information on this issue and a partial workaround on iOS is in our reply to this forum post.