What can you do in airplane mode? I hope this will spark a lively (dare I say it, TRENDING) discussion.
I am about to go on a vacation to familiar places that for the most part will not have reliable internet connectivity. The good news is that I took the advice of many here and bought a 128GB iPHONE SE in April, so it still has plenty of memory. The bad news is that few apps actually give you useful info or entertainment in Airplane mode.
I'm traveling basic economy with only one small carry-on so there's little room for other gadgets like a Vr Stream. I'm planning on using my iPHONE for everything. I'll be camping, hanging out with elderly relatives who live in a rural area and occasionally visiting a MacDonalds to get the internet. I have plenty of batteries and regular access to power. Just no cell or wi-fi service.
So far, here are the things I can do in airplane mode with a bit of pre-planning:
* Watch described movies on Amazon prime video if it lets me download them first; sometimes it does not and I don't know why.
* Watch video that is not described on Xfinity stream if it too will let me download; sometimes it also does not.
* Listen to audio books on BARD, Overdrive, LibroFM, Librivox and similar apps, all seem to let you download.
* Read in Nook, Kindle iBooks and similar if the book is already downloaded to my library
* Play text adventures, Papa Sangre, The NightJar and some of the Blindfold games; not sure which ones require the internet before or during play
* Explore the city I'm visiting with Nearby Explorer (I'm using the free beta)
* Record interesting audio clips from my trip with a variety of apps
* Read/answer email recieved last time I accessed the internet using the built-in Mail app
* Read magazines or other printed material with KNFB
* Write down my thoughts in any text editor or word processor
* Learn to use Microsoft Word and Apple Pages like a pro
* Play music that's already on the phone
Things I haven't figured out how to do include:
- Read mail with third-party apps
- Play free music
- Download programs for later watching from any of my local TV channels or networks like PBS or Spike
- Download blog posts I never got time to read
- Download podcasts or other spoken-word content on the web for offline listening without needing to subscribe
- Play some games -- not sure which do or do not need net access
- Download from Netflix, Hulu or other (I'd subscribe if I could actually use the feature in Airplane mode and it wasn't too expensive.)
- Learn new things; for example, take a course, master a new programming language, etc.
What are your thoughts? What have you successfully or unsuccessfully attempted in airplane mode?