I hope I put this in the right place, if I didn't let me know and I'll change it.
I spend a lot of time on a website known as fanfiction.net, which has a mobile app companion. I have always been disappointed on how their app was completely inaccessible, but the website worked just fine so it didn't bother me that much. I still made a comment about it on Twitter though, and completely to my surprise they responded. I answered them as best I could and thought that would be the end of it. That's usually how it goes with mainstream things like this, or at least that's how it is in my experience. But much to my surprise it wasn't.
When I checked the app again today because I was curious as to if anything had improved, I was shocked to find that it had. More buttons were labeled, you could actually read the stories again, and best of all it wasn't even a fluke. According to the AppStore update descriptions, the devs are Legitimately trying to make the app better for us.
This doesn't happen very often in my experience, so I had to share this. I want to help them iron out the remaining accessibility issues, but I don't know the first thing about coding or anything like that. i'm still going to try and give them some suggestions, but I think it would be good if others contacted them as well.
Here is the link to the app in question's entry: