I like Voice Dream Writer a lot. Even something as simple as having the ability to easily check spelling makes it more useful than many other writing apps. However, I think its major drawback is that it doesn't sync with Dropbox. (I know it can import from/export to Dropbox, and sync with iCloud, but it can't directly edit files in Dropbox without copying them to the app first). The reasons why Dropbox sync is preferable to iCloud sync are:
- Dropbox syncs with Windows.
- If I have files in Dropbox, I can open and edit them in other apps and have changes synced across any apps I'm editing them with. That means I don't have to keep making multiple copies of files, which can easily get mixed up.
- Dropbox keeps track of version histories of files and it's possible to revert to earlier drafts if necessary.
If I am going to use my iPhone for serious writing projects, I want to be able to combine the editing tools of Voice Dream Writer with the features of Dropbox.
Today I discovered iCloud for Windows, and thought that might resolve the first issue. I've managed to get it set up on my computer, and now I can use it to access iCloud drive, including my VDW files. However, they don't seem to be syncing with each other. Changes I make to the files in the Writer folder on windows don't show up in VDW, and changes I make in VDW don't show up on my laptop. I'm not sure if that's an issue with VDW or with iCloud. So my questions are:
- Does anyone know if there are any plans to add Dropbox sync to Voice Dream Writer? If so, will it be able to sync with multiple folders? (I know people will probably say "contact the developer" and I might do that, but I wanted to check here first so as not to waste his time if it's already planned, or been ruled out).
- If not, how can I get VDW and iCloud for windows to sync properly?
- If that's not possible, is there another app that has some of the features of VDW (especially an easy way to check spelling) and syncs with Dropbox?