If you're looking for a portable BlueTooth speaker that fits in a messenger bag or large purse, and one that sounds good, the Anker SoundCore Sport XL is right up your alley. This stereo BlueTooth speaker is compact, shockproof, waterproof and it has a long-lasting 15 hours of playtime before it needs recharging. I'm writing this review over a year after having bought one from Amazon.ca. They normally retail for $129.99, but I got mine on special for $79.99. Over the past year, I've used the speaker both indoors and outdoors, in the rain, as a dedicated Voiceover speaker while dejaying a dance party, as a speaker for presentations and as a quick and dirty monitor for audio editing on the go. Each time, it has performed flawlessly.
The HardwareThe device itself has some heft to it, even though it is quite compact. It is about an iPhone and a quarter long and about 4 iPhones thick. The surface coating is a non-slip silicone and the speaker grill itself is made of metal. It definitely does not feel cheap or flimsy in the hand. It weighs just under 2 pounds. There are a few controls on the top that are tactile and easy to feel.
- A round power button at the far left of the unit when the speaker is facing you. Press and hold it to turn the unit on. It will make an ascending whoosh noise to indicate power is on. If you had a device connected before, it will play 3 ascending tones to indicate it is connected once again. Press again the whoosh plays in reverse to let you know the unit is powered off.
- A minus button for volume down.
- A rightwards pointing arrow for the play/pause and skip forward button.
- A plus sign (+) for volume up.
- A BlueTooth button to unpair the device.