Voice Dream Reader
Description of App
Voice Dream Reader is a text-to-speech reader that turns any document and ebook into audio. Featured by Apple as Best New App and App of the Day in 81 countries including the United States and part of App Store Permanent Collections in Education.
“This app is one of the best educational finds of my entire career.” - Forbes
“As a user myself and as a mother of a child with dyslexia, I am blown away by the features of Voice Dream.” - Quartz
“Voice Dream Reader is hailed by many as the best mobile text-to-speech (TTS) app.” - Examiner
- One premium Acapela voice of your choice free with the purchase of the app.
- 36 built-in iOS voices in 27 languages are also available for free.
- 200+ additional premium voices in 30 languages from Acapela, NeoSpeech and Ivona available through in-app purchases.
- Correct pronunciation with your own pronunciation dictionary.
- All voices work offline and play in the background even with the screen locked.
Supported Document Formats
- PDF, Plain text, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, RTF, and Google Docs.
- Web articles.
- Bookshare Books.
- EPUB eBooks. (DRM-free books only. Kindle, iBooks and most commercial eBook platforms are not supported.)
- DAISY text-based books and audiobook.
- Audiobooks in MP3, MP4 or zipped MP3 format.
- Rich text and image support for all documents.
- Scan paper documents with the camera for text-to-speech.
- State-of-the-art A.I. is fast and accurate, even in poor lighting conditions.
- Works entirely on device: No need for internet and your data stays private.
- Only languages using Latin alphabets are currently supported.
- Tee-up a list of articles and play while you drive, walk or run.
- Spoken word is highlighted to improve comprehension and retention.
- Auto-scrolling and full screen, distraction-free mode to help reader focus.
- Finger reading. For beginners to read by at running a finger under each word.
- Pac-Man. Harvard and MIT developed speed-reading method for everyone to read at 2x speed with no loss of comprehension.
- High contrast and large font size for low vision readers.
- Optimized for VoiceOver, Braille and switch control.
- Recognize text for scanned PDF documents.
- Bookmarking, text highlighting and annotation. Highlights and notes can be exported.
- Full-text search.
- Built-in dictionary.
- Automicatically skip text in PDF header and footer.
- Native support for Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud Drive, Pocket, Instapaper and Evernote.
- Native access to Bookshare.
- Safari extension to save Web pages and Web addresses.
- Support for Box and OneDrive via iOS Document Picker.
- Your entire library, including folders, reading locations, bookmarks and annotations are synchronized across all your devices using iCloud Drive
Free or Paid
Apple Watch Support
Device(s) App Was Tested On
This is a very accessible app, and the developers seem truly committed to improving it. Organizing content is somewhat difficult and may require sighted assistance, but downloading and reading content works very well. As of the latest release, 2.7.2, the developer has fixed the issues noted below with regards to the inaccessibility of the text box. It is now possible to read by words, characters and lines through the text with voiceOver.
The samples for peter (happy) and peter (sad) which previously did not play are now working properly.
Developer's Twitter Username
35 people have recommended this app
Hey Sean my peter voices played. I didn't buy them, but the preview did work. I really like this app, but one feature I liked was broken this update the sleep timer. It now looks like the timer in tune in where I can see strt or cancil but no flicker itum. In the older app it worked which was pretty sweet. Now however I have the Paul voice, so I guess its a trade off.
Great news for VoiceOver users in the latest update - we can now access the text box!
What's New in Version 2.7.2
- Text box is accessible with VoiceOver
- Page number support for Bookshare books and PDF
- Loading files via iTunes
- Experimental Evernote integration
- Bug fixes
- Minor usability enhancements
Yet more improvements for VoiceOver and BookShare users:
What's New in Version 2.7.3
- Annotation: adding your own notes to text
- Exported highlight text now contains notes, chapter names and page number where possible
- Text highlighting is now flexible using movable pins
- Loading DAISY files in .zip format from Dropbox, iTunes, or even directly in Safari.
- File name search for Dropbox
- Tap on Bookshare book to see full description
- Bookshare download history
- Faster text extraction of Bookshare books
- Bookshare periodicals now has an index, and most recent periodicals on top
- With VoiceOver, the text slider now moves at 5% at a time
- With VoiceOver, play, pause and 30 sec rewind and fast forward buttons stay quiet after tapping
- Quick sleep timer for 15, 30, 45, and 60-minutes
- Catalan localization