We are pleased to announce that our Community has chosen Cash Reader: Bill Identifier and Overcast to be this year's inductees into the AppleVis iOS App Hall of Fame.
First opened in 2011, the AppleVis iOS App Hall of Fame showcases and acknowledges the passion and hard work that app developers put into creating great iOS apps that are fully accessible to VoiceOver users. These apps place powerful tools into the palms of our hands, and give access to services, information, media or entertainment that the sighted world typically takes for granted.
To be eligible for induction into the AppleVis iOS App Hall of Fame, an app must:
- Be fully accessible to blind and low vision users;
- Be from a developer with a demonstrated and long-term commitment to full accessibility of their app(s);
- Demonstrate excellence in design, functionality and operation;
- Have been available in the App Store for a significant period of time; and
- Be under active development.
In short, ourHall of Fame represents the best of the best in accessible iOS applications, as decided by the AppleVis community.
Past inductees into the AppleVis iOS App Hall of Fame include A Blind Legend, BARD Mobile, BlindSquare, MBraille, Seeing AI, TapTapSee, Timecrest: The Door, Twitterrific: Tweet Your Way, Voice Dream Reader, and Weather Gods. The full list of inductees can be found on the Hall of Fame page.
Voting for the 2021 inductions was held from May 23, 2021 through May 28, 2021. Voting was open to all blind and low vision members of our community who did not have any affiliation with the app they were voting for.
About the 2021 AppleVis iOS App Hall of Fame Inductees
Cash Reader: Bill Identifier
Cash Reader allows blind and low vision users to simply point their device’s camera at a banknote to hear, see, or feel its value.
The bank note denomination is read aloud via the device’s speaker and is also shown as large contrasting characters on the screen. When your device has silent mode enabled, denomination will be transformed into vibrations. This helps to quickly count bills in noisy environments or to give privacy when needed.
The app currently recognises 100 currencies and supports 35 languages. Cash Reader is also capable of identifying different currencies at the same time, making it a great choice when travelling.
Cash Reader supports Siri Shortcuts, enabling you to quickly open the app or switch between currencies - perhaps by taking advantage of the iOS Back Tap feature which allows you to activate a Siri shortcut by tapping two or three times on the back of an iPhone.
Overcast is a fully featured audio podcast app for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac developed by Marco Arment.
The app has a clean and intuitive interface and a range of useful and powerful features, which include:
- Smart Speed saves time without distorting the audio or sounding unnatural.
- Voice Boost makes every podcast the same volume with a broadcast-quality remastering engine.
- Download podcasts for playing anytime, even offline.
- Search and browse for new podcasts, plus get personalized recommendations.
- Create custom Playlists with smart filters and per-podcast priorities, and rearrange the list whenever you want.
- Receive optional notifications when new episodes arrive.
- Subscribe to a podcast, or just add an episode: try new shows without committing.
- Sleep timer automatically stops playback after any time interval you set.
- Apple Watch app with standalone playback and cellular streaming.
- CarPlay support.
Overcast has frequently been the first to introduce features which improve podcast discovery and management and enhance the listening experience, with many of these features subsequently adopted by other podcast apps. Marco Arment has also been an occasional contributor to discussions on AppleVis, which - along with the excellent VoiceOver support of his app - demonstrates his commitment to accessibility. It is no surprise, therefore, that Overcast is a popular choice for those in our community seeking something more feature-rich than Apple's Podcasts app.
We would like to extend our congratulations to Hayaku s.r.o. and Marco Arment. The iOS App Hall of Fame represents a legacy of excellence and innovation in accessible iOS applications, and both Cash Reader: Bill Identifier and Overcast have a positive and tangible impact on the lives of blind and low vision users.
We also want to extend our appreciation to the developers of the other apps shortlisted for induction this year; all were worthy nominees and garnered support from community members in our vote.