Apple has today released macOS Sonoma 14.1, watchOS 10.1, and tvOS 17.1 to the public.
Our experience is that the following accessibility bugs have been resolved or significantly addressed in macOS Sonoma 14.1:
- Introduced with macOS Sonoma, the Messages app will now automatically transcribe audio messages into plain text, a valuable addition for deaf-blind users. These transcripts were not accessible in the initial 14.0 release, but are fully accessible in macOS Sonoma 14.1.
- VoiceOver focus no longer moves unpredictably in the active window when clicking a link.
- VoiceOver focus now moves to the expected landmark when clicking the "Skip navigation" button on Youtube.com in Safari.
We are currently unaware of any new bugs or regressions for blind and low vision users in macOS Sonoma 14.1, watchOS 10.1 or tvOS 17.1.
With our small team, it's impossible to test every device, configuration, app, and use case. We can't claim our lists of new and resolved bugs are comprehensive or that our assessments are infallible. Some issues may manifest only under specific conditions. You likely won't experience every bug. Also, expect to encounter problems not listed that we missed in our testing. Please let us know in the comments if you encounter any other improvements or new bugs introduced in these updates. Community feedback is invaluable in helping us keep this page up-to-date and accurate.
macOS Sonoma 14.1
This update provides enhancements, bug fixes, and security updates for your Mac including:
- Favorites expanded in Music to include songs, albums, and playlists, and you can filter to display your favorites in the library
- Apple warranty status for Mac, AirPods, and Beats headphones and earbuds are available in System Settings
- Fixes an issue where the System Services settings within Location Services may reset
- Fixes an issue that may prevent encrypted external drives from mounting
watchOS 10.1 and tvOS 17.1 Release Notes
watchOS 10.1 includes new features, improvements, and bug fixes, including:
- Double tap gesture can be used to perform the primary action in notifications and most apps so you can answer a call, play and pause music, stop a timer, and more (Available on Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch Ultra 2)
- NameDrop allows you to exchange contact information with someone new by simply bringing your Apple Watch near their iPhone with iOS 17 or Apple Watch (Available on Apple Watch SE 2, Apple Watch Series 7 and later, and Apple Watch Ultra)
- My Card is available as a complication for quick access to NameDrop
- Fix for bug that causes the climate section in the Home app to be blank
- Addresses an issue that causes a white selection border to be unexpectedly displayed after turning off AssistiveTouch
- Fixes an issue where cities may not sync between iPhone and watch in Weather
- Resolves an issue where the scroll bar may unexpectedly be visible on the display
- Fix for bug that causes elevation to be incorrect for some users
Release notes for tvOS 17.1 are not currently available. However, MacRumors reports that it “adds a new favoriting option to the Music app on the Apple TV, along with some other minor Music changes.”
How to Update
To install macOS Sonoma 14.1, choose System Settings from the Apple menu, select General in the table, click Software Update in the scroll area, and click the Update Now button to begin the update process. If other updates are available, you can click "More info" to see details about them and select specific updates to install.
watchOS 10.1 is available via Over-the-Air Update (Settings > General > Software Update) or by going to the Watch app on your iPhone and navigating to General> Software Update. To install the update, your Watch must be connected to its charger and have at least 50% battery power.
To install tvOS 17.1 on Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD, go to the Settings channel, then look for the System section near the bottom. From here, look for Software Updates under Maintenance, then select Update Software and Download and Install. Wait for your Apple TV to download the update. Don't disconnect or unplug your Apple TV until the update completes.
We'd love to hear your thoughts after you've had a chance to install the updates. What new features do you find most useful? Are there any changes you don't like? Please share your feedback in the comments below. Let us know what Apple got right with each release and where you think there's still room for improvement.