We are thrilled to announce the launch of Club AppleVis. Club AppleVis offers members and friends of our community a means of directly contributing towards the financial costs of operating AppleVis—thus ensuring that we can continue to deliver the information, help, and support that so many people have come to value and rely on over the past 8 years.
In part, the launch of Club AppleVis is a response to Apple's decision to remove apps from its affiliate program from October 1, 2018. For the unfamiliar, this affiliate program enabled online content publishers to use a referral link when linking to apps in the App Store. If people followed one of these links, a small percentage of any resulting sale was paid by Apple to the originating website as a commission.
We used referral links on AppleVis; not because we have wages to pay (all of those involved with running AppleVis do so on a voluntary basis and receive no financial recompense for their time), but because there are financial costs from maintaining and developing AppleVis for the community. The small amount of revenue generated by these links helped to cover those costs.
We want to stress that the changes to Apple's affiliate program should not bring into question the continued existence of AppleVis. However, as we receive no external funding or sponsorship, the reality is that these changes will make it harder to cover the operational costs. This is why we are asking the community to please consider helping by becoming a member of Club AppleVis.
The biggest reward from being a Club AppleVis member is that you will be directly helping to make AppleVis possible. However, as a “thank you”, we offer a number of perks to Club AppleVis members:
- Each year, we offer one Club AppleVis member the opportunity to take part in one of our roundtable podcasts. More details will be announced on how this will work further down the road.
- Club AppleVis members have access to an RSS feed containing all of the episodes in our podcast archive, enabling them to browse and play these in their podcatcher of choice. Note that our main podcast feed includes only the 100 most recent episodes, with the remainder accessible via the website.
- With the support of the developers and companies we have come to know through running AppleVis, we will occasionally offer discounts or giveaways to Club AppleVis members.
- Club AppleVis members also have a badge added to their AppleVis user account that recognizes their membership of Club AppleVis and links to the Club AppleVis page. If you do not want this badge added to your account, please just let us know.
It is possible that we may offer additional perks to Club AppleVis members as ideas and opportunities present themselves. However, what we will not be doing is making some content only available to Club AppleVis members, as we believe this would be against the spirit of AppleVis and everything our community strives to offer.
If you are an app developer or behind a product or service that would be of interest and value to Club AppleVis members, please consider partnering with us to offer a discount or giveaway. Use our contact form to reach out and let us know what you have in mind.
How to Join Club AppleVis
To qualify for Club AppleVis membership, you will need to have either:
- An active recurring donation towards AppleVis of at least US$1.99 per month; or
- Have made a single donation of at least US$25 in the past 12 months.
If you find value in the work that AppleVis does, and if you have the means, we would greatly appreciate it if you would please consider becoming a Club AppleVis member. To reiterate, any and all donations received go directly towards the various costs associated with operating the AppleVis website; our site editors receive no financial compensation for their work with AppleVis.
If you are ready to join Club AppleVis, you can use one of the forms on this page to set up either a recurring micro-donation or make a one-off donation. These donations are processed securely via PayPal.
You can also use these forms if you wish to make a donation that's smaller than is required for Club AppleVis membership. You will have our sincerest thanks, as all donations make a difference and are truly appreciated, irrespective of the amount.
If you already make a recurring micro-donation towards AppleVis or have made a one-off donation of $25 or more in the past year, you will automatically be made a Club AppleVis member. If you have any questions about this, please contact us.
Thank you for your interest in learning how you can help to cover the financial costs of maintaining and developing AppleVis for the community. It is only with your help that everything AppleVis strives to offer is possible.