Description of App
2021 Apple Design Award Winner! Voice Dream Reader lets you listen to any document and ebook using text-to-speech. Featured by Apple as Best New App and App of the Day in 81 countries and part of App Store Permanent Collections in Education.
“Both experts recommend Voice Dream Reader as the best app in the text-to-speech space.” - Wired
“This app is one of the best educational finds of my entire career.” - Forbes
“As a user myself and as a mother of a child with dyslexia, I am blown away by the features of Voice Dream.” - Quartz
“Voice Dream Reader is hailed by many as the best mobile text-to-speech (TTS) app.” - Examiner
- One premium Acapela voice of your choice free with the purchase of the app.
- 36 built-in iOS voices in 27 languages are also available for free.
- 200+ additional premium voices in 30 languages from Acapela, NeoSpeech and Ivona available through in-app purchases.
- Correct pronunciation with your own pronunciation dictionary.
- All voices work offline and play in the background even with the screen locked.
Supported Document Formats
- PDF, Plain text, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, RTF, and Google Docs.
- Web articles.
- Bookshare Books.
- EPUB eBooks. (DRM-free books only. Kindle, iBooks and most commercial eBook platforms are not supported.)
- DAISY text-based books and audiobook.
- Audiobooks in MP3, MP4 or zipped MP3 format.
- Rich text and image support for all documents.
- Scan paper documents with the camera for text-to-speech.
- State-of-the-art A.I. is fast and accurate, even in poor lighting conditions.
- Works entirely on device: No need for internet and your data stays private.
- Only languages using Latin alphabets are currently supported.
- Tee-up a list of articles and play while you drive, walk or run.
- Spoken word is highlighted to improve comprehension and retention.
- Auto-scrolling and full screen, distraction-free mode to help reader focus.
- Finger reading. For beginners to read by at running a finger under each word.
- Pac-Man. Harvard and MIT developed speed-reading method for everyone to read at 2x speed with no loss of comprehension.
- High contrast and large font size for low vision readers.
- Optimized for VoiceOver, Braille and switch control.
- Recognize text for scanned PDF documents.
- Bookmarking, text highlighting and annotation. Highlights and notes can be exported.
- Full-text search.
- Built-in dictionary.
- Automicatically skip text in PDF header and footer.
- Native support for Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud Drive, Pocket, Instapaper and Evernote.
- Native access to Bookshare.
- Safari extension to save Web pages and Web addresses.
- Support for Box and OneDrive via iOS Document Picker.
- Your entire library, including folders, reading locations, bookmarks and annotations are synchronized across all your devices using iCloud Drive
Update from the developer
The developer of Voice Dream Reader has posted the following warning on their Facebook page:Bad news, good news and great news! Bad news: current version of Voice Dream Reader does not work on iOS 7. Apple dropped a few things that will break many apps. Good news: I just submitted a new release to Apple that will support iOS 7. Hopefully it'll be out in 1 week. Great news: The new release will make all 36 iOS 7 built-in VoiceOver voices available in Voice Dream Reader, for free. By the way, in iOS 7, you can "enhance" any VoiceOver voice. The quality is much better. But please, do not upgrade to iOS 7 until after you download next release, 2.8.3!
What's new in version 2.8.3
Not the new Siri voices
Enabling built-in voices in iOS7
Does this mean that with
Yes, sort of
Version 2.9.0 released
Version 2.9.2 released
- Support for DAISY 2.02 audiobooks.
- Support for audiobooks as zipped MP3 files. (1)
- Support for large library of books. (2)
- Improved PDF text extraction with better detection of spaces.
- Fixed problem with using remote control with iOS 7 voices.
question about comment 17
reply to comment 27
Hi all, just to say I asked
That's good. I think you
Aah, I see, that is a real
What a shame. When did ivona
didn't I read some ware in
I only bought the app because
Actually the kindle e reader
James from NeoSpeech
MM I like James as a voice,
What's New in Version 2.9.3
- New voice: James from NeoSpeech. It's now our favorite US male voice.
- Collapse or expand DAISY hierarchies by selecting a level.
- Support for encrypted DAISY audiobooks. In the previous version, the chapters were ordered incorrectly.
- Fixed: Edited text is now immediately visible.
- Fixed: Pausing issues with iOS 7 built-in voices. Please upgrade to iOS 7.0.4.
- Fixed: Problems handling audio interruptions.
- Minor bug fixes and improvements.
Hi, just a heads up, it has
That's good news!
Version 3.0 is Here!
Version 3.0 of this app just came out. It offers full support for all Daisy versions, improved PDF rendering, braille display fixes, easier text selection, and more. One of the biggest new features is the four Ivona voices, two American and two British, now offered for $4.99 each - Sally, Joey, Brian, and Amy. It is a free update, so go get it, and happy reading!
wow! Tha'ts cool they final
wow! Tha'ts cool they final added the ivona voices. I love those voices very much! As of now I don't need the app, but at least it is in my wish list should I need it later in my college career.
Sally and Tracy
A problem with Ivona
Have you tried this with
Have you tried this with several file formats of large size that voice dream reader supports to see if the bug still occurs with the ivona voice you use? I don't use the app but just trying to help here.
Since the release, I found
Hi Winston, I sent you a
Voice Dream does not
Oh that's great, thanks for
With very large files, even
What's New in Version 3.0.1
- Fixed: Loading files directly into a folder
- Fixed: App exits running the first time after update
- Fixed: iOS voice responsiveness
The occasional skipping of
Voice Dream Read just gets better and better...
IVona Voices Work Fine on a 4S
Using a Braille Display
Voice Dream and a braille display
Voice Dream isn't made for braille
Expanding and Collapsing Navigation Units
Useful, perhaps, but Voice Dream does more
Expanding and collapsing Chapters
What's New in Version 3.0.3
All Ivona voices are now available:
-US English: Kendra, Ivy (Child), Kimberly, Jennifer, Eric, and Chipmunk
-British English: Emma
-Welsh English: Geraint and Gwyneth
-Australian English: Nicole and Russell
-Indian English: Reveeena
-Plus Ivona voices for Spanish, French, German, Russian, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Welsh, Polish, Portuguese, Turkish, Romanian and Icelandic.